Options

RAV4 Adventure as a tow vehicle for the Tab 320s

Looking for input from anyone who has been towing their Tab with the RAV4 Adventure.  Specifically how it tows over mountain passes!

Comments

• Options
    MarcoMarco Member Posts: 18
    You have enough power to tow your 320S. I do have a 2019 Rav4 hybrid AWD that is not a Rav4 adventure. It is NOT good for towing esp when going uphill.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @mammyd I used the search field in the upper right of the page and searched on Rav Adventure. There are several threads-hope they’re helpful.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    I did get a Toyota recommendation to use 'S' mode with the shifter when towing.  This stands for Sequential, NOT Sport, and is the S to the left of the D on the shifter.  Mine starts out showing 4th gear when in S mode, which will automatically shift through the first four gears.  I find myself shifting up to 5th on flats, and down to 3rd on long downhills.

But, really, I do have a question.  For the relatively small 4 cylinder engine that a Rav4 adventure has, does it make sense to use 91 octane gas, or is that just a waste...
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    There is no advantage to higher octane gas if your car is not designed for it.  Look in your owner's manual.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452

But, really, I do have a question.  For the relatively small 4 cylinder engine that a Rav4 adventure has, does it make sense to use 91 octane gas, or is that just a waste...
    It depends.  Our vehicles have all the computer controls to adjust for altitude, power,gas, etc.  But they can only adjust so much.
    Ive found when towing under strain.  Whether mountains or trailer weight premium fuel makes a difference in performance.  Ie: timing can be advanced or retarded greater without ping sensor kicking in.  More power and better mileage.  But is extra cost worth it?
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    arunakaluarunakalu Member Posts: 4
    Finally we are going to get ourselves a Tab 320s Boondock to tow with our RAV4 Adventure (Trail in Canada). For those who have been doing this for the last few years, how has it been? Are you happy with the RAV4 towing ability?
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    I have a 2021 RAV4 TRD Off Road (essentially a Trail with different wheels and slightly tuned suspension).
    It has enough power to tow my 2022 320S Boondock, even on some decent hills
    Just make sure you put the shifter to the left and limit your top gear to S6 or even S5.
    You need to be aware that this vehicle is close to its limit with a loaded 320S so make sure you're aware of your payload, tongue weight and cargo in the TAB.

Other than that it tows the 320S very nicely I find.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Now 2 years into towing our 320 with the Adventure model. Very happy. Just remind your dealer to do the extreme use service. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT