Options

Looking For Strong Adhesive For Walls

Does anyone know of a strong adhesive to attach things like a soap dish or shower caddy to interior walls? I'm looking for a product that really works but will not damage the finish when removed. Obviously, suction cups only work on the mirror, but we don't like that idea. I saw some clear goop at Camping world, but I don't want to mar the finish.

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2020
    @JPRoland, we used Command Performance strips to hang a couple shampoo, etc., holders/storage on the bathroom walls (see photo in my 09-18-2020 post below.)  The shampoo holders we are using included the strips.  Before attaching the strips, be sure to clean the area with an alcohol wipe, and follow the instructions for how long to wait before actually hanging the shower caddie (1 hour, I believe.)  Our shower caddies have been up for a year and we have not had any issues with them.  The nice thing about the Command Performance strips is that they are easy to remove and do not damage the walls/wallpaper.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    Thank you so much. I had looked at those but was not sure. We just want to really try from the start to treat our little T@b right and keep it in top shape. Have a nice Labor Day!
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    I have a 2020 T@B 320 and found that none of the command strips work on the textured walls. I tried the industrial Velcro and it worked. FINALLY! I was nervous  about my first Boondock trip but everything was where it should be. My humble opinion is that Command strips cant hold up on the 2020 textured walls. 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    Thank you. My main concern is marring the surface if and when I remove them. I'm not too worried about holding a lot of weight as I need them for very light items like a bar of soap. Have you had any experience with removing the Industrial Velcro? How did it do? 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    You could try the “bath” version of the Command strips. As others have pointed out, it’s important to follow the instructions on the package. 

Personally, I hung a mesh caddy from a tension rod installed across the back wall. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited September 2020
    I have been able to get command strips to work. Thoroughly clean the surface with alcohol, and follow the command strip instructions, exactly as directed. Give the adhesive a minimum of 24 hours before attaching the hook or accessory.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    Another option is 3M mounting tape, in clear or grey.  Great adhesive and won't mar the surface when removed.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Horigan said:
    Another option is 3M mounting tape, in clear or grey.  Great adhesive and won't mar the surface when removed.
    Whenever I've used that stuff it has been a big pain to get it off. What is your technique?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Thank you, Marceline. I'm going to look into your tension-rod suggestion. That's a good option.
  • Options
    So, after reading everyone's posts here, I bought some tension rods and I purchased hooks with Command Performance strips. Both are working perfectly! The tension rods are great in a couple of areas and they are easily installed or removed with a simple twist. As for the hooks with Command Strips, I did a little experiment with one of the hooks. I didn't prep the wall with alcohol as per instructions prior to mounting it and it fell off that night. The others which I installed exactly as per instructions are perfect. I still have no idea how well they will peel off should I ever want to, but I'm not going to worry about that now. What a helpful forum. Thank you to all.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @JPRoland, the Command Performance strips are very easy to remove and leave no marks.  Just follow the removal instructions on the package.  Below is a photo of the shampoo, etc., storage we have on our bathroom wall.  We have two in there and both are held with Command Performance strips.

(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    Marceline said:
    Horigan said:
    Whenever I've used that stuff it has been a big pain to get it off. What is your technique?
    I just work at it with my finger nail and it rolls off.  I use a covered putty knife to separate the parts.  I'd go with Command Strips in this application if they work on a clean surface, per instructions.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Excellent. Thank you. This forum sure has helped us out. 
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @JPRoland...having just stripped more than a few command hooks from our T@g...when pulling on the strip make sure you pull it straight down as per instructions...I left a hook in our T@g for the next owner..luckily it is in the door where my sweatshirt hoodie used to hang..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    MichiganSunshineMichiganSunshine Member Posts: 19
    Just a word of caution-I have a command hook in the bathroom that has held heavy objects, however, it is now pulling away from the wall removing the wallpaper along with it
    Kathy - Lansing, MI
    2017 T@B 320 SC-S, 2016 Suburu Outback
  • Options
    Just a word of caution-I have a command hook in the bathroom that has held heavy objects, however, it is now pulling away from the wall removing the wallpaper along with it
    I’ve had my Command hooks up for several years and I’ve had this happen once. The circumstances were that I left a pretty heavy item hanging when I stored the trailer and the interior temperature got pretty high (100 deg). The Command adhesive is apparently stronger than the wallpaper adhesive in that kind of heat. I removed the hook and I was able to press the wallpaper back into place and it’s completely invisible now. But I don’t leave heavy things hanging anymore. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    GiotaGiota Member Posts: 57
    I don't know if anybody suggested this, but it is the bomb. Advertised as being able to stick a brick to the wall. And it works. I've tried it. I love this stuff from Amazon.

Gel Tape Gel Sticky Tape Reusable Gel Tape Removable Adhesive Tape Clear Double-Sided Washable Gel Tape for Home,Office,Outside Items (THK 1 mm, L 6.56 ft)

• Options
    It has been several months now and all Command hooks applied according to the directions are doing perfectly in the bathroom, kitchen and living area. I have not tried gel tape or sticky tape. 
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Maybe I'll try them again... I had given up on them, as they always fell off.  I have also noticed that even the glue on velcro fails in the heat of the summer...😒
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Mine have not been through a hot Arkansas summer, yet, so I'll report back. I always use a stronger hook than I need, I don't put much weight on it and I take everything off the hooks when storing. I will tell you that cleaning the wall thoroughly with alcohol and letting it dry is the only way it works. 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I used 3M double-sided tape to put soap and shampoo dispensers on the wallpaper wall on the Left side of the toilet.  Decided I didn’t like the configuration and attempted to remove them. They disagreed with my decision and would not budge. I finally removed them at great effort. Don’t ever use anything but Command Strips on any interior surface. You’ve been warned. Proceed at your own peril.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Thanks, Tabaz. That's my biggest worry with adhesives that are too strong. I don't want to tear up the walls. The Command Strips have been working perfectly for the last four months. I also like the Command Strips that have velcro. The hook attaches to the velcro and if things get too heavy, the velcro pulls apart instead of pulling on the wall itself. I have two of those working. 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Just hung this artwork on the driver side wall using four VERY thin Velcro Command Strips. Really classes up the place.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    That's good to know - I was planning on mounting my EMS/surge protector onto a piece of plywood and gluing the plywood to the wall - but now I'm start to have second thoughts.. then again - maybe a larger surface like that wouldn't exact as much stress as a command hook which is more localized... 
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    I just tried some command strips in my new 2021 TaB bathroom... and they came off at the slightest tough 24 hours later.  Hmmm.  I too am nervous about Velcro or some other adhesive. 
  • Options
    @Bclarke, did you first clean the wall area (where the strip attaches) with an alcohol wipe before attaching the strip, plus attach the strip and let it sit for about an hour (or longer) before hanging anything?  I have done that on several areas in my trailer and the Command Strips have held up well. 

• Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    I confess... I didn’t use alcohol.  I did let it sit for 24 hours though.   Will try again the right way.  ;/)
  • Options
    Bclarke said:
    I confess... I didn’t use alcohol.  I did let it sit for 24 hours though.   Will try again the right way.  ;/)
    It’s really important to read and follow the directions on the package. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    The alcohol prep is important on these walls, for some reason. But all of mine have held for15 trips, so far. I especially like the strips with velcro. If I hang something too heavy, the velcro will come apart first instead of the adhesive on the wall pulling away. I've also had good luck with three perch by Urbio Wally Wall Mounts. They hold a lot of stuff!