Options

2021 T@B 320 CS-S Outdoor Shower Hose Woes Rectified

2021 T@B 320 CS-S
Just coming back from a 6829 mile trip from the west coast to the mid-west and back.  The CS-S is a great little camper for two people. 
We used the outdoor shower on numerous occasions and an observation I have is that items stored beneath the sink can obstruct the storage of outdoor shower hose and make it difficult to get back into its place. 
The fix...
I had a quick connect plastic coupler for a garden hose from a different project laying around and decided to shorten the outdoor shower hose to about 8 inches.  I then attached my quick coupler at that point so that the coupler was visible and reachable from the outside shower door compartment. 
After a trip to my local HD and Bi-Mart store, I was able to procure the right fittings and a flexible shower hose (seven feet).  It quickly disconnects and is easily rolled up and stored in the Nautilus box. 
The advantage is easier use of the shower.  You just take it out and plug it in and turn on the water supply.  Secondly,  you don't have to worry about items stored beneath the sink as this area no longer has to also store the hose that you are trying jam in there. 
While we are at it, I would suggest that you carry a water container that you can fill and yet small enough that you can still carry it.  The Nautilus system allows you to siphon water from that tank into your freshwater tank in the CS-S.  In many cases you can camp much cheaper in a camp ground if you don't require to be hooked up to water and sewer (electric only).  In addition to that water container, you will want to carry a short (four foot) drinking water hose with a male garden hose fitting on one end (which is received by the Nautilus system) and plunged into the bottom of your portable water carrier.  That allows you to put about five gallons of water into your system when needed (so that you can do the dishes for your spouse  :  ).  You can do it with a 25 foot hose but it is overkill.  A shorten drinking water hose works well.  It too can be rolled and stored in the Nautilus compartment. 
nbrandt
2021 T@B 320 CS-S
2015 4.6 Toyota Tundra

Comments

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @nbrandt..would love some pics..as we visited ours I figured there would have to be a better way than having to deal with that hose amongst the kitchen storage area...thanks 
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    Finally getting around to adding some pictures of this change.  This first one shows the new short hose coming out of the mixing valve from the outdoor shower.  It needs to be long enough to make the curve without kinking (or one could also make the corner with two 90 degree elbows that would prevent kinking - but this seems to work).

Here is an image of the shower side with the "quick attach fitted on to the shower hose.  Though it looks a little bulky, the compartment door is able to close easily as this orange coupler recedes toward the opening on the left.

Finally, below is a picture of the new flexible shower hose fitted with the male end of the coupler on one side and the shower head on the other.  The flexibility of the metal hose allows it to be uncoupled and easily stored in the Nautilus box. 

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Can you provide more info about the quick-connect fitting and how you attached it to the hose? 
    Thanks!
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    Also does the shower head just unscrew?
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    A few more pictures to address questions.  I took the hose off of the trailer to show you length that I used.

My coupler is attached with a compression type of fitting.  I did have to drill out the hose a little to get this coupler to slide over the hose, but it is still a water tight fit.

However, you could also used a small hose clamp and the type of quick coupler that is available at HD or Lowes.

The one piece that was tricky to find was the connection that went from a standard pipe thread to a garden hose thread.  Again, they are available at HD, but you will have to find the guy or gal that knows the plumbing/garden section well to help you find this fitting (below).

This then attaches to the new shower hose and the quick coupler

The other end of the new shower hose attaches right to the shower head.  Hang on to your rubber gaskets and reuse.