Options

New to t@b forum

PSAGPSAG Member Posts: 3
My name is Patti and we are looking at a 2021 - 400 Boondock Lite.  We have a 2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E that we will be using a tow vehicle.  Any pointers or experiences you can share would be great?  We live in Denver - so a lot of mountain driving and trips to the Northwest are planned.  Not sure if sway controller and others are needed to tow safely and with ease.  Thanks and I look forward to hearing your many experiences and feedback as we go through this adventure from tent camping to more of a house on wheels. 

Comments

• Options
    JamesJames Member Posts: 32
    Welcome. I bought the same TAB, which should arrive in November. I’m still up in the air about the towing vehicle, currently looking at Ford F150, Ford Ranger and Honda Ridgeline. Very difficult to decide. 

You’ll find a wide range of opinions here about everything you might possibly be considering. My advice is to take it slow and read everything three or four times. Did I mention take it slow?  The posts and comments here are often excellent, and often confusing, and often both!  It’s easy to get overwhelmed if you’re not careful. 

But the community members and admins are great, so enjoy!  And again, welcome. 
    2021 TAB 400 BDL 
    No towing vehicle currently owned, looking at F150
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Greetings and welcome. 

Basic rule of thumb is ensure your TV (tow vehicle) towing capacity is somewhere between 60-75% greater than the T@B GAWR and your tongue weight is between 10-15% of that weight. 

nuCamp does not recommend a weight distribution hitch but there's no harm in installing an anti-sway device, so long as you remember it's best practice to disengage it when backing. They have a tendency to get "bent out of shape."  ;)

When you pick up the T@B, use your phone or GoPro to video the dealers walkaround before you take possession. 

Take you time when backing. Practice in empty parking lots some Sunday AM. 

Practice "camping" in your driveway for a few nights and run all the systems. Best to troubleshoot at home than when you're boondocked out in BLM land. 

Lots of things to learn and you've found just the place to do it! Great folks here with tons of knowledge and experience that they're willing to share.

"Wear it out!"

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop