Options

AC Cool Cat Heat Pump Leaks

4wallcamping4wallcamping Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Products and Accessories
Hello Fellow Campers;

I don't have a T@B, but do share a common feature in our campers.  I have a little Aliner and it has the Cool Cat Heat Pump AC used in the T@B.  I believe the manufacture has installed it incorrectly, as during heavy rains water leaks in (alot).  Additionally, it sometime leaks when it runs - there is not any drains to the exterior of the camper underneath.

Please can anyone post pictures of theirs...  Are there drains?  What prevents the water from coming in the big grill exposure? Does someone have an installation manual?

Any help you can provide is appreciated.  The unit is still under warranty, but when I took it to the dealers, they just put a new bead of caulk. Do yours have drains to the outside?   

Comments

• Options
    Anyone have the AC in their T@B? Please help me understand how water doesn't come in.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    As I recall from seeing a ton of A-liners last year, the AC units stick out on the outside.  On T@B's the AC units are contained entirely within the structure of the trailer.  You may simply have a broken seal that allows water to collect on top of the unit and then roll into the side of it.

I don't have any leaking problems, but I know some folks have had condensation issues when the unit is running.  If the trailer is sitting nice and level as it should water can collect under the unit.  I am not sure Little Guy has solved this, but I know it can on mine, so I leave the trailer slightly off level when I am running the AC so that the water can run out and not collect.

I have a cover to cover the grill on our T@B, but this is not standard.  I think, at least the new A-liners also come with a cover, like the one below.  They may offer a cover, not sure.

There is an A-liner group on Yahoo, they may be able to help you further.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    Cyclonic, what type of cover do you have?
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Thank you for the info, however the AC you mention is one type (the older one) they offer. They now offer the dometic AC/heat pump that has been used in the T@Bs for sometime now. This is what is in mine, and is located under the bed with only the wire grate flush with the body side (similarly) to the T@B install. Just looked at the picture you posted and my camper is the second one and you can see the cool cat grate that I speak of towards the rear of the unit. Thanks again...
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Several Dutchmen T@B owners have had issues with rain water splashing into the Cool Cat vent in a down pour and while semi trucks are passing.  For this reason they use a plexiglass cover over the vent secured with wing nuts.  Also, the drain pan on the unit is very shallow.  Ours has sealant around the drain tubes, making it necessary for water to reach a high level in order to come up over the drain sealant to enter the drain tube.  To off set that, we slightly tilt the T@B to the driver side during trips when we expect the unit to run much of the time.  I occasionally stick a pencil up through the 2 drain holes to make sure there's not debris or dirt blocking them.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Here is a photo posted on the Yahoo forum showing the drains....
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    TABaker thank you very much!!!! This is exactly what information I was looking for, as the Aliner doesn't have these drain tubes at all. They just drain inside the drain pan. Thank you again...
  • Options
    Yipppeeeeee!

• Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    Hey TABaker, do you have a pic of the plexi-glass attached with wingnuts?  Mine came with a cover that I can use while camping, but I am interested in the plexi-glass set up for traveling.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Thanks!  I forgot to ask where you got the plexi-glass.  Did you have it custom cut?
  • Options
    I haven't yet made a cover.  These photos are from the files on the Yahoo forum, and are not mine.  Yes, it was custom cut.

• Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    I had a friend cut mine. I think he used a fine toothed band saw, but I'm not sure. I drilled the corner holes. The place I bought it (home Depot, Lowes--one of the two) wouldn't do it.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    Any local glass shop will have and cut plexiglass for you. You can then use a drill to create the holes.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    thanks Scuba and Kristi