Extra 110 outlet in drivers side seat box

bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
we were exploring storage this weekend and found this outlet. Do any of you think there would be a problem with running a line to the back for charging phones or other iOS devices?
2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!

Comments

• Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    I'm considering doing the same thing.  This weekend though, I ran an extension cord with 3 sockets from that outlet to the rear ledge and used it to charge phones and a tablet.  Seemed to work fine so I might just leave the extension cord and forgo putting an outlet in back.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Is that where the Alde plugs in? It's a 20 amp circuit and the Alde takes 15-16a, so you'd be just fine plugging in something that takes an amp or 2, even while the Alde is running in max electric mode. Phone chargers and even laptop chargers are under an amp so go for it.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    A lot of phone charges are now 1.5 amps. I know my Lumia is and I believe the iPhone 6 might be.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    It should not be a problem, provided you limit the load. Note that a USB charger at 1.5 amps is only 7.5 watts as the voltage is 5 volts. Assuming you have 4 amps of headroom on the 20 amp Alde outlet, that will give you 440 watts of power. Watts is a factor of amps times voltage. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • cam42cam42 Member Posts: 7
    I just added two 12V USB chargers to the under side of the back cabinet just below the speakers.  I remove the speakers and tapped into the LED lights using extra wire and and splice connectors. You will have to drill a hole using a hole saw drill bit. Just drill it further to the back so when it's in use it will not hang over you while your laying down. Follow the directions for hook up you will have to make sure you have the positive wire on the correct contact. Here is the link for the chargers I ordered from Amazon.  Sorry I don't have picture I'm out of town, I can post them when I get home.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Charger-Socket/dp/B0082CXEI8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dpcod_.omGvb1KGAVZ6_tt
    Cam & Holly, 2015 T@B MaxS White & Yellow, GA, 2012 Ford Explorer, Tent
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I installed an outside plug on the passenger side behind the wheel well (they didn't used to include one) by using the A/C plug that is installed under the driver side seat.  It never occurred to me to check the amps/watts.  I will do that and be sure not to plug anything into the outlet that exceeds it and the A/C together.  Thanks for that reminder.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2015
    Cam42, I like your idea for the location of the USB chargers. I might have to do the same.

Do you know what the phantom draw is on those USB converters?

They usually have a current draw on them, even when not in use. I measured my plug-in type converter (like for a cigarette lighter outlet) and it draws around 120mA, ie @ a tenth of an amp.

I might just put in 12v outlets there, even though they're larger.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • cam42cam42 Member Posts: 7
    ChanW ,

According to the manufacture the parasitic current draw is 15mA, it has a small light that is always on when there is power. I would put in a rocker type switch in if your worried about the draw. Blue Sea Systems also make small rocker switches that would be great. You can also get a small switch from an auto part store. 
    Cam & Holly, 2015 T@B MaxS White & Yellow, GA, 2012 Ford Explorer, Tent