Options

Brake controller and Volvo VIDA

CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
edited September 2020 in Trailer & Towing
In the past, I used my '08 Volvo XC-90 V8 Sport to tow a small sailboat that did not have trailer brakes. In order to tow our newly ordered Boondock however, the Volvo needs a brake controller, along with a harness upgrade from 4-pole to 7-pole.
For a variety of reasons, I'd prefer to use a hard-wired controller, rather than the BT type. Connecting the controller is pretty straightforward, but I'm concerned about the possible need to reprogram the car's computer. Are there other folks out there using a Volvo as their TV who've wired in a controller and can advise on whether reprogramming with VIDA is needed?

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country

Comments

• Options
    CaptenajCaptenaj Member Posts: 42
    Did you ever get an answer to this? I am purchasing a new Volvo and want to ditch the very troublesome Curt wireless controller. What controller did you end up getting?
    2021 T@b 320 S
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    @Captenaj - did not get an answer on this forum but did get some useful info on the Swedespeed forum. For older Volvo's at least, resetting via the VIDA is almost surely needed, adding about $150 unless you can do the reprogramming yourself. For a new Volvo, your dealer might do it gratis as a customer accommodation.
    Adding a 7-pole harness was relatively easy, particularly since I had previously installed a 4-pole. I wound up going with the Prodigy RF and have been happy with it.
    What model Volvo are you purchasing? 
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country