Options

Outside 15amp outlet MOD

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
edited October 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
When hooked to shore power. We like to cook outside as much as possible. The outside outlet was just not up to the task. Between the coffee pot, toaster oven, induction hot pad, ice maker, and sometimes an overhead space heater.
So to help solve the problem I split the outside outlet one side 15amp the other half 20amp. Since I use the AC unit the least I used that circuit to draw power. Still leaving the AC intact. On occasion I may also run a cord from the power pedestals 15amp sometimes 20amp outlet for additional service. I figure I payed for the power I may as well use it. 

1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,597
    . . . On occasion I may also run a cord from the power pedestals 15amp sometimes 20amp outlet for additional service. . . .

Do keep in mind when using additional campsite pedestal circuits, 50A or 15/20A, while also using the T@B primary 30A that your campsite power 'allotment' is real-world less than the pedestal maximum Amps.  You need to keep your total Amps demand below the pedestal maximum; 30 or 50A.

If you don't it is possible to trip the main campground circuit breaker.  Most campgrounds have several campsites on one main breaker and the main breaker is rated well below the maximum Amps of all sites on the circuit; 5 sites at 50A each do not have a 250A main breaker** . . . national design code assumes all sites won't be at maximum Amps at any given time . . .  So if you are over your site maximum and a few of the other sites on that circuit are near the site maximum good chance the campground main breaker will trip.  Then you have the fun of finding someone with access to the main breakers.

Also, have been in several RV parks that have written rules which don't allow using the other outlets.  Because main breaker overloading is a common issue for them.
    ** just like your house.
          One 20A circuit breaker will have a loop of four or more 'outlets'.
         The total loop load must be below 20A.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @MuttonChops Good accurate information.
    Never really been an issue. Then I don’t make it a habit of trying to overload the pedestal.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun