Options

Anchor Points on 400 Boondock

What a fantastic forum for creativity and old-fashioned knowhow & I've enjoyed it thoroughly......so many people sharing their experiences freely, to the benefit all!
Waiting for our 2021 400BD arrival in spring & am learning quite a lot here about the T@B universe.

Here's a question:  I've seen those handles on either side of the front, seemingly used for a clothesline mostly.  Is that the primary purpose?  But more to the point, I'm wondering if you guys have found a way to anchor one end of a hammock to the camper, with the other end likely tied to a tree.  We camp mostly USFS or undeveloped campsites where this might be helpful.  
2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
SW Montana USA

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2020
    They are grab handles to move the trailer with the tongue wheel but since the 400 is heavIer than a 320 I’d say they are more symbolic and are a well known trademark of the T@B design.  They are not intended to be used for anything like a hammock, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2020
    I don't know about the 400, but I've pushed and yanked pretty hard on the handles on our 2014 Tab, and been amazed at how solid they are. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    They are bolted to the underlying aluminum framework with some fairly heavy bolts.  My guess is that they would withstand (unless you are really heavy and toss around a lot)  a hammock, but do let us know how it works out.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    The handles on the 2021 are a slightly different design than prior years...and feel extremely sturdy.
    You might want to reach out to Creed at Nucamp (tech@nucamprv.com) and get his opinion on how much of a load they are designed for.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    We keep our 400 under a pull-through carport. With a tongue wheel on, on pavement, the two of us can roll it back and forth pretty well and nestle it in against the far wall, out of the way. Don't get up any momentum, though. It's hard to stop!
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have pushed my 400 with handles and felt they were adequate for that. I know for a fact, the front ones in 2019 at least are bolted all the way through the front wall, so might be ok. Obviously not designed for down force but rather pushing and pulling, but sure might support one end of a hammock.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 87
    Sounds like a fairly substantial handle then; but might sit too low for a hammock.   I wonder if there are any ideas on how to rig up something of an anchor point up higher, maybe elsewhere on the camper?
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
    SW Montana USA