Options

Help! Dutchman 2005 TaB Hitch Coupler Latch Position

4malama4malama Member Posts: 2
edited November 2020 in Trailer & Towing
Help! I can’t tell if my hitch coupler is latched on my 2005 T@b 2 inch ball that I just bought used. It seems like the latch handle thing should go down about another half inch past 90 degrees to the position it’s in when it’s not on the ball. Can anyone with a similar t@b look at these pics and tell me if it’s on all the way? When I jack up the tongue with a car jack it raises the ball and the back of my SUV with it, and when I drove forward and reverse a little and slam on the brakes it doesn’t come off or down any further. I tried jumping on it and have put it on the ball 3-4 times every time and it stops this far down each time, but it seems like the handle and ball cradle part should go down as far as it does when there’s no ball on it to be fully locked and safe to drive? I’ve had 2 neighbors look at it who have experience towing trailers and my Dad, and a friend who has a newer t@b with a different hitch mechanism. No one is sure it’s safe to drive like this, but everyone is pretty sure it’s safe. I’d like to know for sure. This is my first time hooking it up by myself after the owner hooked it up the first time 3 weeks ago and showers me how before I drive from Montana where I bought it, back to Washington. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! When the hitch/tongue is not on the ball the hitch coupler handle thing is about 1.5 inch higher than the tongue, when it appears latched onto the ball it is only going down to about 1 and 7/8 inches or so higher than the tongue as you can see in the pics.

Post edited to resize photos.  

Comments