Options

Boondocking in Central Georgia

TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
In a few weeks we'll be heading down that great migratory route known as I-75, and passing through the middle of Georgia.  We want to stop for the night somewhere around Atlanta, give or take.  Any recommendations for boondocking in central Georgia?  We're willing to drive east or west a bit (maybe a half hour or so) for something scenic.
2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TresK3, boondocking like out west is in short supply in the East and South.  Out West, there are lots of BLM grounds that are free, with no services. 

East of the Mississippi River, I have spent the night in rest stops, Pilot truck stops (in the RV section), and I haven’t found a  Cracker Barrel or Cabella’s when I was ready to stop driving for the day. Inexpensive places to stay are county parks campgrounds or city campgrounds in  mostly small towns away from the Interstates.  I always try to stop while it’s still daylight so I know where I am, and I can set up safely. 

Since I have an iPhone, I have apps that will show me all of the nearby campgrounds and what amenities they have. Some of the apps also have websites that you can look up before you leave on your trips, or the night before. 

If you search this forum, there are many posts about apps for campgrounds. I know there aren’t as many websites listed for their web links. There are paperback books available that will show you campgrounds, also. 

My favorite app is Allstays and it shows there are lots of campgrounds around Atlanta, ranging from city campgrounds to KOA’s and larger campgrounds.  There may be Forest Services sites, but I am not familiar with any campgrounds around Atlanta.  I always try to stop before I get to a major city as smaller towns normally have lower costs, also. 

I don’t know your route to Atlanta, but there are lots of Cracker Barrels along I-75.  Guess where you would be eating breakfast?! 

By the way, I measured your height of your 400 at 9’4”, and there are a lot of low bridges around Atlanta!  (See, more info than just campsites on apps!). Be sure to have your better half help you measure the exact height of the 400’s top of the roof vent before you take a lot of trips in unfamiliar towns. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @TresK3, obviously I don't know what drives your interest in boondocking or how you define that.  Expense, want of space or privacy, or something else.  Which ever perhaps one of the following sources might help.

The first and only one I can speak from experience on is Harvest Hosts.  There is a membership fee for this one.  It is a collection of businesses that offer a place to dry camp overnight. This is usually in a parking lot or some portion of a farm or vineyard.  There is a good manners policy that you would make a purchase.  I've done five, have had good experiences, and will renew my membership.

Two other sites I've heard of but have no experience with are:
    Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!
    Hipcamp | Camping on Private Land | Find Yourself Outside

Hope these help.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    Thanks @Verna and @SweetlyHome.  That information and those websites are a big help.  We may look for a Cracker Barrel or similar option on the way down and back.  If there isn't a scenic spot, then someplace we can easily get into and out of without a lot of fuss would be ideal.  We'll definitely check out Harvest Host and the other websites for when we are actually in the Sunshine State.
    2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @TresK3, I used Allstays previously, but have found Campendium, in conjunction with Allstays, to be very useful in finding overnight locations, with and without hook-ups. @Verna is correct about finding low to no cost sites farther away from the big population centers. And, as you suggested, away from the cities is much more scenic, and far less crowded. Good luck with this and your other travels and adventures. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    Ga. State parks are nice, well run and avg $40.  If you are determined to boondock near I-75 I don't know much. Not far off I-75 in central part of state are, heading South, >  Panola Mountain, Indian Springs and in S. Ga is Reed Bingham. I've stayed at many of the Ga St. Parks and yet to be disappointed. Harvest Hosts are an option we also use but you have to pay a yearly membership fee.
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TresK3 I am going to be trying Harvest Hosts over the next year. Not only can you stay at wineries and breweries, but there are museums, working farms, produce farms and libraries, for instance. The annual fee is currently $75, I think, with the premise that you will buy something from your host. There are specific rules to be followed, but they are simple and normal polite rules. 

What took me so long to join was the fact that you were not allowed to see the map of places to stay. Then I saw a winery close to my home had two overnight Class A’s. If this Winery was a member and had a huge level gravel lot to park on for the night, that was good enough for me. 

By the way, should you decide to join Harvest Hosts (and maybe the other two popular “groups”) try to get in touch with a member friend as there are reduced rates if you are “referred”. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @Verna I guess we're not supposed to share specific locations but I sure can share some photos of Harvest Host experiences.  

Our "site" at one of our winery stops in Michigan.

The evening view from our site including a couple of our fellow HH members.  We made new friends and enjoyed the wine.

We had similar experiences at the 2 other wineries we visited.

Visiting the Tourist Office parking lot in a small midwest city.  It looks a little odd but we were truly made welcome, enjoyed visiting the local sites and takeout diner from a local restaurant.  We kept asking people where and what to order for dinner and got unanimous responses for a local Italian restaurant, but order the fried chicken.  We would visit here again and order the same fried chicken.

Our night at a orchard.  I suppose our site was similar to being at Cracker Barrel or Walmart.

But I don't think many of those would have this campsite view.

Finally a night at a lavender farm.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    fiddlefootfiddlefoot Member Posts: 62
    Tugaloo State Park, north of Atlanta, beautiful waterfront sites, electric, cable and I think water.  Very Beautiful.  $38.
    Denise, Rea and Ruby
    2016 CS S, 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Somerset, VA