Options

Another T@B Tongue Box and Platform Rebuild

georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41

Tongue Box and Platform Rebuild (November 2020)

I replaced the standard plastic propane and battery housing on my 2019 T@B 320 CS camper with a larger aluminum tool box. Although the long, low profile tongue boxes can be quite expensive, I found a ‘truck bed toolbox’ at Canadian Tire marked down 65%. And so, for $166 Cdn, I purchased a good quality 60 X 20 X 14 (LWH) locking aluminum toolbox with dual latches. I then modified it to hold a small refillable 5 lb propane tank (20 lb tanks were too tall), 2 AGM group 24 batteries, a small tool box, three disposable one pound propane bottles, a second solar charge controller, miscellaneous campsite tools, camp axe, fire starter, a one litre bottle of liquid  coleman fuel and the wheel chocks. The box was fitted to receive the repositioned propane gas regulator and the master disconnect switch as well as a 12 volt plug in receptacle and an exterior 2 pin connector for a portable 12 V solar panel.

The box was bolted to an aluminum platform, from a previous retrofit, using galvanized steel fasteners which were separated from direct contact with the aluminum by inserting nylon washers where necessary. Other than doing a lot of measuring and making sure everything would fit and close before attaching the box, I needed to fill and patch the holes from where the regulator and cut off switch had originally been attached to the diamond plate on the T@B. Half inch plywood was bolted to the inside bottom and back of the box. The plywood surface would allow for easy attachment of fasteners to hold and secure the batteries and propane tank. The solar charge controller was attached to a wood platform at the front of the box. Three 2 inch holes near the base provided ventilation. The holes were fitted with round aluminum soffit screens.

Tongue weight was significantly increased but stayed just within the 10-15% generally acceptable range. My tow vehicle and hitch can handle the weight, 700 lbs vehicle tongue weight and a tow capacity of 7600 lbs. I don't carry a generator or on board water. Sometimes one bike on the tongue. The propane weight was decreased by 15 lbs by going with a smaller 5 lb tank. Battery weight will increase by approximately 60 lbs once I add a second AGM battery. The larger aluminum tongue box adds negligible additional weight. From the pictures you can see that I had moved the spare tire from the rear of the trailer to the front of the tongue which adds, with the carrier assembly, approximately 35lbs.

Using the NuCamp numbers for a factory tongue weight of 212 lbs, the additional weights bring the estimated total tongue weight to approximately 290 lbs once the second battery is added. Of course with just one battery it would be a lot less. Adding in a bike would bring the tongue weight to about 315 lbs. In either case the total tongue weight could be reduced a bit by repositioning some gear from my tow vehicle to the inside back half of the camper while towing. The final tongue weight has yet to be measured on the scales.

The pictures below show most of the construction details. Overall I am quite pleased with the much increased space and access to equipment stored inside the new tongue box. Feel free to comment.

Last picture shows room to the left of the battery for a 2nd Group 24 AGM battery to be wired in parallel. The battery disconnect switch has been made far more accessible by moving it inside the box.

Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 

Comments