Norcold N4000 problems

Hi folks, I have a 2021 TAB400 Boondock with the Norcold 4000 3 way refrigerator. The refrigerator will cool on AC power but barely can keep up with ambient temperatures in propane mode. It's at the dealer now, and they are talking about installing a baffle. Has anyone else had this problem? It's been one problem after another since we took delivery in September. 
2021 T@B400 Boondock
2008 Toyota Tacoma
Silver Spring, Maryland

Comments

• johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited November 2020
    Where are you located?
    Discussions on this topic have appeared in a few other threads. Those of us in hot climate zones during hot months and have measured performance with bluetooth enabled thermometers in 3-way fridges have found them to be a health hazard while on propane. Unless the dealer will "install a baffle" on his or her dime, you may be throwing good money after bad. If interested (and if a search on this topic yields little) I can find you links to prior discussions.
    We blew it because there was plenty of other stuff to learn before dropping $30K+ on a trailer. Making sure a dealer in the hottest big city in the US would only offer trailers with functional refrigerators for the surrounding climate was not on our radar screen. But hey, it's "free enterprise" and "let the buyer beware".
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    Not sure where you're located and what climate you're using it it but we've got the same trailer same fridge and have had no issues with ours.  But we've only used it in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • madtroutmadtrout Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for all of your feedback. We are located in Maryland. We have been having trouble with temperatures in the high 70's up. I too was unaware that such an expensive "toy" could be sold with such problematic utilities. My faith in my dealer's ability to solve this is quite low. I took the trailer in for the same complaint a couple of weeks ago and they could not duplicate the problem. When I took it in the second time the temps were in the high 70's and they did see the problem. What I cannot understand is why an absorption refrigerator which is hardly a new or exotic technology can be so difficult to fix.
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Can it be replaced by Norcold under warranty?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Hi Sharon,  If the dealer cannot fix it to my satisfaction I will insist on a replacement. However, the idea of my dealer removing and installing a new unit fills me with dread. I can only imagine the collateral damage such a scenario would entail.
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
    Find another dealer!
    Good advice!
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
    If you do a forum search, you can identify dealers who have provided TaB owners with good service.  Buckley’s has been mentioned in Maryland.
    edited November 2020
    So after a week in the shop playing with baffles and fans, Norcold has decided to send a new refrigerator for my dealer to install. I can only hope the swap fixes the problem and my dealer can do it with without cosmetic damage to the TAB. More fun in the new world.
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    madtrout said:
    So after a week in the shop playing with baffles and fans, Norcold has decided to send a new refrigerator for my dealer to install. I can only hope the swap fixes the problem and my dealer can do it with without cosmetic damage to the TAB. More fun in the new world.
    Guess it will be next summer before you will know whether yours' was a bad unit or absorption is a bad idea in warmer changed climate. If it's the former, I wonder if Norcold publishes their "defects per thousand" manufacturing data for these units?

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
    Another update. Norcold only sent a new control board for the refrigerator. Surprise, surprise, that didn't fix it either. So they have finally agreed to replace the entire unit. This was only after I called Norcold directly. Fingers crossed. I'm taking the TAB in on Monday for the install.
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    Looking forward to seeing if the new unit is better.  Hopefully it is.  As I mentioned prior we've had good performance out of ours here in Colorado.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    Hi folks, Here's an update of the new Norcold. Finally had a day in the 40's to test it out on propane, and the performance was spot on. The refrigerator cooled quickly to 32 degrees on high with the freezer at -4. Hopefully it will work this well in higher ambient temperatures.
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
    Hi folks. Here is the 6 month update on the new Norcold 3 way. On our trip to Colorado this summer, the Norcold performed well up to 85F degrees ambient cabin temperature. Please note that I installed 2 exhaust fans at the top of the back of the refrigerator. In these conditions our food stayed below 39 degrees in the daytime, and falling to 34-36 degrees at night. However, the Norcold performs badly at high elevations above 7,000 feet, with the propane system refusing to light at 10,000 feet. This is mentioned in their manual, so shame on me for not doing my research.  Towing on a long hot day across the Midwest, our ambient cabin temperature would rise to over 100F. At this point the refrigerator gives up and rises to over 50F degrees. The lesson learned here is to keep all critical items in a cooler when driving long distance on hot days. The Norcold is well suited to Spring and Fall camping, and we love the ability to run on propane in remote locations, but this is not a perfect solution for an RV refrigerator. 
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @madtrout I live in my T@B400 but I spend most of my time in the southwest. In the 2 years I've owned my T@B I've towed it about 20,000 miles. My norcold fridge works well in propane mode, but I use propane mostly when I am towing. My cabin rarely gets above 95 degrees when I tow. I travel with all blinds closed. I installed heavily tinted window film (non-adhesive contact type film) on all windows. When I am out of my T@B I keep the blinds closed and the AC set at 83 degrees (i don't boondock). I installed an exhaust fan at the top of the fridge chimney early on because the factory installed exhaust fan failed within 6 months of purchase. In summary, my approach is to reduce the heat in the cabin and improve the ventilation in the rear of the fridge.
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019