Quick fix for foam cushions

Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
edited November 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
While driveway camping with my 'new' 2014 T@B 320 S I discovered that the foam cushions are not adequate, even for sitting down to enjoy a cup of tea, let alone a good night's sleep. The foam is in good shape, just not dense enough for my needs. Even a mattress topper for sleeping will not solve the problem with bottoming out onto plywood while sitting. I don't have $600 for new cushions. So, I figured out that there is just enough room inside the existing cushion seat covers to add a base layer of blue camping mattress.
This was fairly easy, took about 4 hours and did not require any upholstery skills or sewing.
Here's what I did:
1) I bought 3 blue camping mattresses ($30 each)
2) Using a box cutter, I cut the blue camping mattresses into 6 pieces, matching the dimensions of the 3 cushion sizes that make up the bed. You'll need 2 of each size - these were the measurements I needed:
    15" W x 31" L
    21" W x 31" L
    19 1/2" W x 34" L
3) For the 4 cushions that make up the side seating, I unzipped the cover and without removing the existing foam, I inserted the blue foam on the lower side, so that the blue foam sits inside the cushion, facing toward the plywood bench. This part took about 1 hour for all 4 side cushions.
NOTE: when inserting the blue foam pieces, push them forward right to the edge of the front of the cushion so that the blue foam aligns with the edge of the existing foam.
4) For the back bench, I undid the staples along 3 sides only, keeping all the staples on the front edge intact, which is the visible edge when the cushions are in place. Other posts have mentioned the excessive number of staples that need to be removed. Consider that you are doing yourself a favour for future recovering/new foam.
NOTE: The factory staples are often embedded in the wood. I removed the staples with a flathead screw driver and needle nose pliers, being careful to leverage away from my body and hands. It takes a fair bit of force to get them out.
5) When the staples were removed, I opened the cushion like a book and without removing the existing foam, I gently slid in the blue camping mattress against the plywood base, pushing it all the way forward so that it aligned with the front edge of the plywood.
6) Staple the cover back in place by pulling it just enough to not leave creases or tight spots. You can use about 1/3 the amount of staples as you removed. Done! The 2 back bench cushions took about 3 hours, mostly staple removing. 
This worked out so well that I might not even need the mattress topper, which will leave more space for other things. 

2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments