Options

Friedrich AC doesn't cool effectively.

I recently went a trip to Delaware Seashore State Park.  Those that don't know this place has no shade at all.  The Friedrich AC unit which is mounted on the floor could barley cool the T@B off a few degrees during the day, at night I set the temperature for 60 degrees and it only hit about 71 degrees inside in the morning.  I can feel cool air coming out of the Friedrich so it is working.  Is the Friedrich not powerful enough to cool the T@B's?  Can anyone suggest a fix action or perhaps if anyone has attempted to upgrade the air conditioner.  

Comments

• Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146

It's not the A/C unit. The box that it sits in doesn't allow proper fresh air exchange that is required for adequate cooling. LG is now putting in fans that force an air exchange. I'm doing my own and will be posting my changes here upon completion.

M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2015
    Revised:
    First off, I don't even own a T@B yet.  So, let me ask forgiveness in advance.  However, we are picking up a 2014 T@B Q model next week, and I have been actively researching this potential problem ever since....so I feel somewhat like a "Chicken Little" on this topic.
    Also, if this problem was widespread, there would be a lot more people seeking solutions for the same problem...ie: there are thousands of happy T@bbers for every one with this question or problem.

A lot of comments and thoughts on the "underperforming a/c" thread down the page...from what I am reading, it sounds like a design problem in the T@B, not the a/c (although a good place to start looking would be at the temperature output on the a/c first). A window unit type a/c should be producing sub 60 degree air where it exits the unit---the problem appears to revolve around a lack of ventilation around the a/c unit housed in the body and heat building around the compressor as it runs, reducing efficiency. The small window unit a/c should easily cool a 300 sq. foot room ....most folks comment on how well the t@b is insulated so it should not be a problem to cool one---possibly opening the roof vent slightly will let excess heat escape the cabin while the a/c runs????

When we first starting looking at T@B's, I thought the window unit type a/c was a great idea since they are cheap and efficient to use and replace.  I'm wondering now if the old style Cool Cat ever had this problem since I have not read of problems in the pre-2014 models?

We are picking up our new to us (aka a used 2014 model) T@B Q with the a/c on the floor a/c next week...so take any of my comments as such.  While excited about the T@B as an upgrade from tent camping and a step up from a pop-up type camper, honestly am disappointed reading about a lack of efficient a/c.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our a/c performs reasonably well...promise to let you know in the next few weeks.

Possible solutions that I have read from my research:
    * add exhaust fans if not already equipped....add more exhaust fans if that does not work.
    * modify the body and cabinetry to include some sort of slide out for the a/c has been mentioned...
    * camp only in cool climates and seasons, or only in shady spots (an unacceptable and sadly sarcastic solution).

Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    One possible reason for relatively few bringing this problem up is many have not camped where it's warm enough to need the air. In my nine months, the air has been on just three times. The first it was 87 degrees and it took an hour to get down into the low 70s. The second time it was 97 and it took half the day on full blast to get down there. The third was a cooler 82 and everything was fine.
    When it was 97, a contributing factor was the fridge discharching a lot of heat into the interior through that little gap above the fridge and the countertop being real warm. The temp in the front of the T@B was 10 degrees warmer than the back. I met a guy that had installed a fan in the fridge compartment to exhaust the heat out the side vent. I think when it gets real hot, the convection cooling the fridge relies on just doesn't work well. So that's a contributing factor.
  • Options
    justwoodjustwood Member Posts: 13
    I have only had my T@B for ~3 months.  I am going to call the factory on Monday and submit a warranty claim.  Hopefully they can fix the problem.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304

Proper air flow through the condenser coil (the one on the back) is very important for proper A/C operation. In looking at the pictures of T@BS on the web site, it looks to me that the outside grill MAY be part of the problem. ANY restriction  of air flow is a bad thing, and it looks to me that the grill may be causing some of the air to get sucked back in through the condenser instead of blowing straight out. Has anyone tried to remove the outside grill to see if that helps the A/C operation?  I don't have one on my "L", so I can't try it.

The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Catndahats, I use to have an older T@B with the Cool Cat heat pump. The A/C units that are put in now are about 5000 to 6000 BTU, the Cool Cats where 12000 BTU's, an over- kill to me. Also they may have been designed to work in a cabinet.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    justwood - Could you let us know how the warranty call goes?  I'm still within my 1 year warranty until early July.  Thanks
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    We're beginning to see this question asked frequently on the FB page.  I have a 2007 with Cool Cat.  That thing may be ugly, noisy, and overkill, but I love that beast.  It also cools the add-a-room.  
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

I have found that my A/C puts out plenty of cold air, but distribution seems to be the problem.  The A/C in my 2013 T@B is mounted on the floor.  The cold air, no matter how I position the baffles, seems to hit the front door only.  I have partially solved the problem by opening the lower cabinet door next to the A/C about half way to deflect the air toward the back of the trailer.  Perhaps a small fan to force the air toward the back would be a better solution.  I don't think the location of the A/C will ever allow full utilization of the unit.  I would suggest that a digital thermometer placed directly in front of the A/C will tell you if the problem is in the unit or in distribution of air.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited June 2015
    Wonder if a roof mounted unit would work better? - When I ordered my T@B LG had that listed as an option. My dealer inquired and it turned out LG wasn't actually ready to offer it - seems they had jumped the gun by listing it.
  • Options
    sboesenbergsboesenberg Member Posts: 17
    My 2004 T@b Kool Cat air conditioner has given us trouble for the last two summers.  It has really ruined part of our vacation.  I don't enjoy 90 degree weather trying to set up in the afternoon.  The first year, the unit moved around and rubbed a hole in one of the "pipes" that held the freon.  Our a/c guy fixed it for us.  Last summer, it just quit blowing cold air.  We have been having it worked on again.  They replaced one part that didn't fix it and now saying it is the compressor.  We were quoted a price for a new unit in 2014 of $800.00.  I'm not sure I want to go that route.  I was wondering what options we had to replace the 12,000 BTU unit.  Two summers ago we used a window a/c unit to get us home.  It really didn't do the trick.  It is enough to make me want to purchase a different camper. ;(   Anyone interested in a beautiful 2004 unit?  We are in south Florida.