Options

evidence of water damage?

I bought my 2018 T@B 320S Boondock from a private party in September.  Between the competition from other interested parties and my naivete about what to look for in a used trailer, I didn't inspect as closely as I should have.  Yesterday I was puttering around in my trailer and noticed this water stain (see photo) on the wood that separates the Alde compartment from the other under-bed compartment.  I haven't had water in the trailer since I bought it (previous owners already winterized).  Does this look like I may have a problem when I de-winterize in the spring?  I can't tell if the water came from the Alde side or perhaps from something that was previously stored under the bed.  I'm a bit nervous.

2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited December 2020
    @PNWtabber, based on the location of the stain, my guess is that the previous owner had some sort of liquid stored in that area, possibly against the wall, and it leaked, causing the liquid to "wick" upward into the plywood.  However, since the Alde hot water tank is right behind the plywood compartment divider, you should keep an eye on things to make sure it doesn't leak when you add water to it.  But, if the Alde tank was the source of a leak, I would think there would be more widespread staining, including on the flooring in both the depicted compartment and where the Alde tank is located.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Thanks, @Bayliss.  You make a very good point.  Honesty, my heart sank a bit when I saw the stain yesterday.

• Options
    Yes, @PNWtabber, "surprises" aren't always fun.  Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully all will be a-o-k.  May the force be with you!
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @PNWtabber, not sure of this stain. Could be a water mark, or that from a glycol leak, given it's location. Check the very far back behind the alde compartment, where the back of the trailer meets the lower storage compartments. The 2017 and 2018 models were occasionally known to have taillight leaks. It would not show up during downpours, but rather would seep during slow drizzles or gradual snow melts. The angle of the back seems to shed water in heavy rains, but is not steep enough to shed water in slow moving wet situations. We tucked our 2017 away for its first winter and in the spring found this-

Nücamp knew immediately what the problem was and it was a very simple fix. They removed the taillights and old sealant recaulked the taillights and where the wires came through the body of the tab and mine hasn't leaked since. Also check your glycol reservoir. Around that same time, some glycol reservoirs were faulty and the bottom tip or nib broke off. A replacement reservoir is also a relatively easy fix. Good luck with this. -Denise.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    X2 on the tail light issue...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Oh no, @dragonsdofly!  I will definitely take a look!

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I wouldn't think the stain is from a tail light leak since (as described by @PNWtabber) it is not in the back end of the trailer (sloped area in @dragonsdofly's photos.)  My understanding of the location (correct me if I am wrong) is the plywood divider/wall between the Alde compartment and the storage compartment that is accessible from the small storage compartment door located at the passenger rear side of the trailer.

• Options
    85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
    I have a stain that looks just like yours!  For me the culprit was a leaking water pump connection.  
    2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L
  • Options
    @Bayliss -- yes the stain is on the vertical board that separates the Alde compartment from the storage compartment, but further investigation wouldn't be a bad idea.

@85Redwood -- I will check the connections, thanks.

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @dragonsdofly @4ncar Related to the tail light water pathway (I had same issue), I saw a kewl video this afternoon of an RV factory tour where they slip a panel with a gasket into the camper doorway of every unit... then turn on a monstrous blower attached to the panel to create positive pressure inside each camper. Then they spray soapy water over the whole trailer looking for bubbles. What a brilliant way to make sure every tail light, window seal, etc. has enough sealant or is seated correctly. Spiffy idea. It'd be neat if every dealership service department also had such a gizmo. Sometimes sealant is initially missing, but all sealant breaks down or needs a refresh in time. When bringing in any unit to our fave dealership for an axle repack, or roof dicor check, or glycol change out, they could do a quick ten minute check to find any place needing more sealant.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited April 2021
    DougH said:
    @dragonsdofly @4ncar Related to the tail light water pathway (I had same issue), I saw a kewl video this afternoon of an RV factory tour where they slip a panel with a gasket into the camper doorway of every unit... then turn on a monstrous blower attached to the panel to create positive pressure inside each camper. Then they spray soapy water over the whole trailer looking for bubbles. What a brilliant way to make sure every tail light, window seal, etc. has enough sealant or is seated correctly. Spiffy idea. It'd be neat if every dealership service department also had such a gizmo. Sometimes sealant is initially missing, but all sealant breaks down or needs a refresh in time. When bringing in any unit to our fave dealership for an axle repack, or roof dicor check, or glycol change out, they could do a quick ten minute check to find any place needing more sealant.
    We do something similar, but not with air or bubbles. One of us sits inside in the dark, while the other one of us aims a flashlight at every seam, wheel well, and underneath from the outside. If light shines in, then we plug the seam with caulk.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL