2020 Ford F-150 and Factory Electronic Brake not recognizing T@B 400

BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
A few weeks ago I picked up a 2020 Ford F-150 XLT with 5.0 V8 to use as our new tow vehicle.  We still have our 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude which handles towing our t@b 400 BDL with ease, but between daily driver and trips, the miles were starting to add up.  Our second vehicle couldn't tow, so we opted for more of a dedicated tow vehicle.  While the ink was still wet, I had the dealer install the Ford Electronic Brake system.  The truck came with a factory installed tow package, just not the manual electronic brake system.  We were very excited for our first trip with the new truck last week but within a mile things were not right.  When I hooked the truck and t@b together and followed the manual's instructions - driver's seat, close door, press pedal, start truck, wait until you see "Trailer Attached" on the dash board menu.  Did all of that, saw the trailer were attached, went through setting the blind spot, brake pressure, etc.  Things seemed to be in order.  I then reached down to adjust the gain on the manual electronic brake lever and got the error message "trailer not attached".  Fortunately, our camp site was a short distance away but bottom line, the truck sees the t@b, the manual electronic brake doesn't.  I'm headed to the dealership Sat and have them reflash the computer.  Anyone having similar issues?
2019 T@B 400 BDL
2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
Niceville, Florida

Comments

• kmulhkmulh Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2020 F150 with the Max tow package so the brake controller was installed at the factory but should be the same one.  Have you tried to manually engage the trailer brakes with the slide on the controller?
    2021 T@B 400 BD
    2020 F150 3.5 ecoboost
    Columbus, OH
  • BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    Hi Kmulh.  To your question, yep sure did.  So, basically after the dash sees the trailer, we go to the manual electronic brake and squeeze the slide and the error "Trailer Disconnected" appears. One thing we haven't done and to be honest I don't see how it would impact this but we haven't completed the Backup Trailer Assist setup.  The brake controller is the same one as is installed at the factory - I checked.  I also checked the brakes on the 400 and they are operational (thanks to Creed at nucamp on how to do that).  Are you pulling a 400 or 320 and what year is your trailer?
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
    I was pulling a 2021 320 BD but recently sold it and have a new 400 on order.  I never completed the Backup Trailer Assist either so doubt that's the problem.  I know the dealer needs to "program" the computer for the new controller so maybe they missed that step?
    2021 T@B 400 BD
    2020 F150 3.5 ecoboost
    Columbus, OH
    I think they missed the flash as well, so I have an appointment this Saturday to have them do it again.  I had read the F-150's computer was too smart and the electric brakes had difficulty detecting light weight trailers and many dealers were telling customers the issue wasn't with Ford, but their specific trailers.  Reason I chatted with Creed and did a thorough check of our 400's brakes.  I also cleaned all the cable connectors on the 400 as well as the F-150.  I'll post an update as soon as I'm back and do a check with the trailer - which is in storage. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
  • TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    I have a 2020 F150 with factory installed tow package and trailer brake controller.  Brake gain with my controller is handled via entering settings on the dash information system.  I am surprised the dealer installed a brake control that supports manual gain settings.  I question compatibility with the 2020 Ford trailer management system.  Perhaps check with the dealer and find out if another controller should have been used.

I have a 2020 F150 with factory installed tow package and trailer brake controller.  Brake gain with my controller is handled via entering settings on the dash information system.  I am surprised the dealer installed a brake control that supports manual gain settings.  I question compatibility with the 2020 Ford trailer management system.  Perhaps check with the dealer and find out if another controller should have been used.

I can change the settings through the dash info system but my factory installed controller also has small + and - buttons to adjust the gain on the controller.
    2021 T@B 400 BD
    2020 F150 3.5 ecoboost
    Columbus, OH
  • LoriZLoriZ Member Posts: 2
    My husband put in an OEM controller from Infotainment.com  (that came with the programming box) on our 2018 F150, and after trying two different programming boxes that plugged into the OBD, was told, finally by Infotainment’s “customer service,” that the programming box was not compatible with my F150, even though it was supposed to be.  He spent hours tearing about the truck’s consoles only to have to do it again to remove the OEM and return it to Infotainment.  Now he is going to put in an aftermarket brake controller.
    UPDATE, after spending four hours at the dealership the end result was "nothing is wrong with the truck, it has to be your trailer".  I was sort of expecting this, but then the service tech said something that gave me that "MOMENT" of clarity and I knew exactly what the problem was and it was totally my fault and made me feel very stupid.  When we purchased the trailer, our tow vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee that did not have an option for a factory electronic trailer brake. So, we purchased a Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control.  What I remembered was on the way to the RV Shop for the install, our trailer had brakes, just not a separate brake controller for just the trailer.  So, we had the controller installed on the trailer fork and the 7 pin from the trailer connected to the rear of the controller and another seven pin that was permanently connected to the front of the controller connected to the tow vehicle.  I'm sure everyone is seeing where this is going.  Drove home and grabbed my wife and we headed to where we store our trailer.  Connected the hitch (for grounding), disconnected the trailer seven pin from the rear of the controller and connected it directly to the truck and MAGIC, the truck sees the trailer, brakes work, etc.  I have the trailer brakes adjusted LOW so they are applied whenever I press the truck brake pedal.  I can also manually reach down and squeeze the handles and brake just the trailer.  A simple mistake on my part - I honestly was expecting something far more technical.  Really looking forward to our first relatively short trip in Jan and then our two month trip in April to Yellowstone.  Thanks to everyone how responded. 

2019 T@B 400 BDL
    Niceville, Florida
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Blueespy, you know each of us wouldn’t be here on this forum if we hadn’t needed help or advice at one time. I’m so glad you figured it out!  Happy and safe travels, with working brakes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”