Options

Awning for T@B 320 Boondock

After my recent excursion to the Washington coast during the rainy winter time, I am convinced an awning of some sort will be a good thing.  My priorities are: 
  1. resistance to rain and wind and 
  2. I need to be able to put it up BY MYSELF, SOLO, in a reasonable amount of time.  
I am primarily looking at All-Pro ($529 TAB 320 Allpro Awning) and Pahaque ($449 T@B 320 TRAILER AWNING), I don't think the Walker tent will work for me (too difficult to put up solo) -- performance for my criteria is more important than the price difference at this point.
Looking for feedback, recommendations, informed reviews.  Thanks so much!

2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Not an awning, but I’m really happy with my Clam Quickset Traveler. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I’ve seen way, way, way too many complaints about Pahaque, both here and over of Facebook, to ever be comfortable recommending them. I’ve seen virtually no complaints about the All Pro. If those are your only two choices, I’d go with the All Pro.

The Walker awnings (traditional or inflatable) are not the same as the Walker tent, and are supposedly doable solo as long as you’re reasonably able bodied, with the inflatable being basically the easiest Tab awning to put up solo, but requiring a lot more staking down for wind. The Isabella awning is also doable solo, and is darn near windproof, but will need to be Scotchgarded or similarly coated for rain according to recent posts. Both of these brands have thicker, stronger poles, more cross supports, and better quality fabric than the All Pro. They are built to last, and as such are worth the higher price

ALL OF THESE REQUIRE STAKING IN WINDY CONDITIONS. Treat them like tents, tie them down. I can vouch for the high end brands in very high winds, I’ve seen them in person during a ridiculous windstorm at a Tab gathering last year.

The Clam Traveler Marceline recommended, I wholeheartedly endorse. I have one, and can put it up or take it down 100% solo despite my physical limitations, takes me a few minutes versus the 90 seconds it takes most people, but it’s faster than setting up an awning or visor. It will also need staking in high winds, but is darn near indestructable.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @VictoriaP and @Marceline -- the Clam Traveler, from what I have seen is a separate tent thing, right?  I think I want something attached to my trailer, not separate.  For example, I would like it so my 72 pound Golden retriever could be right outside the trailer while I am cooking rather than being underfoot.

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I have the Pahaque awning and find it will sag in the center with rain or snow.  There are no support rods extending out from the side of the trailer as there are with the All Pro.  However, from the photos on their respective websites, the All Pro appears to be shorter than the Pahaque (from trailer sidewall outward).  Both need to be pegged down.  If I was in the market for an awning, I'd go with the All Pro.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    edited December 2020
    I just finished my fifth season with my PahaQue awning and it has served me well in varied weather conditions. For me, a major advantage of the PahaQue is that the sides can be rolled down all the way to the ground. This provides additional options for weather and (with the addition of screen panels) bug protection.

The saggy center is unattractive but I've never found it to be a significant problem so long a you keep the awning cinched tight at the stakes. I think PahaQue sells an optional center pole, but it seems to me just one more thing to futz with.

I'm just reporting my experience, not promoting PahaQue (or any brand) in particular. Features do vary a bit and it all depends on what you prioritize. There were far fewer options when I got my awning several years ago. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    One more consideration - the awnings do retain heat in the summer compared to the visors.  Bought this nifty unit from Home Depot for $99.  Much heavier than the awnings, but can be setup by one person because of its unique center locking mechanism.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Journey-EasyLift-10-ft-W-x-10-ft-L-Grey-Instant-Canopy-JOELTB100AZ/314832768?

• Options
    @Tabaz how do visors hold up to rain and wind?

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @PNWtabber, the PahaQue visors hold up to rain and winds to around 30 mph, IF you stake the two guy lines to the ground instead of to the lower Keder rail. (I only have the PahaQue visors.)

I will tell you that the Isabella awning will withstand over 50 mph straight line winds that tore up PahaQue visors and awnings. (I am NOT putting the PahaQue products down—this is just what happened at üCamp19.). I had helped assemble the Isabella for a new T@B owner and it was the only awning that withstood those winds.  Needless to say, I purchased an Isabella awning for my new 320. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna -- Looks like there is an Isabella retailer in my state, I just sent them a message as they don't provide much information on the website.  Can a solo traveler of 5'5" height install the Isabella awning?  Looks similar to the Allpro.  I can't find an installation video of the Allpro, but did find one for the PahaQue, looks pretty straightforward, but doesn't have the "roof" supporting rods.  Weatherwise, rain is my biggest concern.

• Options
    My Pahaque Visor XL does a great job with wind and rain - IF - you avoid the Keder rail.  I carry two five gallon Jerry cans and fill each with water at the campsite. I secure the visor ropes to the filled cans.  Works great in strong winds. If you use the Keder rails, the visor will blow up and over the top of the trailer in strong winds.  This breaks the center fiberglass pole.  Ask me how I know.  You can tell from the photo that the awning would provide much more protection for your furry friend.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @PNWtabber, All Pro Adventures is where I got mine—great service from them, too. They are owned by the original founder of Pleasant Valley Teardrops, the mother company of nüCamp. 

The Family Doctor generously measures me at 5’4”, so a small step stool And a 2 or 3 step step ladder are my best friends.  I can tell you I know I will be able to assemble and install the Isabella in less than 15 minutes by myself. 

Someone on this forum said the Isabella wasn’t waterproof, so I intend to waterproof the Isabella and use seam sealer on it as soon as it gets warm enough. 

I had a PahaQue 320 awning and I was never quite happy with it. The Isabella has 6 poles going from the Keder rail to the outer edge of the fabric, the All Pro only uses 3 poles.

There is quite a price difference between the All Pro, PahaQue and the Isabella. Watch the videos and you can make a decision. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    After reading up on many of the options, I am reconsidering a visor instead of an awning, since it doesn't necessarily require ground staking, looks like the guy lines can be attached to the trailer???  It also sounds like it might be the easiest to put up.  Pahaque says theirs is waterproofed.  I had avoided looking at visors because I had read you can't open the trailer door fully with a visor attached.  Ugh, decisions, decisions.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    PNWtabber said:
    After reading up on many of the options, I am reconsidering a visor instead of an awning, since it doesn't necessarily require ground staking, looks like the guy lines can be attached to the trailer???  It also sounds like it might be the easiest to put up.  Pahaque says theirs is waterproofed.  I had avoided looking at visors because I had read you can't open the trailer door fully with a visor attached.  Ugh, decisions, decisions.
    As Tabaz noted, attaching guy lines to the trailer will result in the visor being flipped over the trailer in a moderate wind. Not recommended. Either stake it or weight the lines with water anchors (at least 40 pounds each for moderate wind).

You cannot fully open the door with anything in the keder rail as far as I’m aware. (And FYI...the door shouldn’t be fully open if running a 2018-2020 fridge on propane, because you’re blocking the vents.)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @VictoriaP -  I didn't pick up on the "flipping problem".  The anchors should be simple enough, 40 lbs = 5 gallons of water.  I am thinking staking out an awning isn't always an option, like state parks I have been in where the pads are asphalt.  I'm sure I am over thinking this whole thing, but its a pretty good expense and I want to be happy with my choice.  Sigh.

• Options
    PNWtabber said:
    @VictoriaP -  I didn't pick up on the "flipping problem".  The anchors should be simple enough, 40 lbs = 5 gallons of water.  I am thinking staking out an awning isn't always an option, like state parks I have been in where the pads are asphalt.  I'm sure I am over thinking this whole thing, but its a pretty good expense and I want to be happy with my choice.  Sigh.
    If you’re overthinking, you’re in good company. 😁 Between this issue and the deciding on battery capacity issue, I’m going a little batty!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited December 2020
    PNWtabber said:
    Going back to the beginning, I think you might want to think about the intended purpose of your visor, awning, or side tent. If your main purpose it to have a place to hang out (for you or your dog) in bad weather, I would scratch the visor. They are good for shade over the door or for offering some rain protection at the front door (while you put on or take off boots) but they aren't really robust. If you want a storm shelter you really need something tougher. But as you've discovered the side tents and awnings take a bit of work to set up. This is why I settled on the CLAM. It takes just a minute or two to set up. In foul weather I stake it down, add a few guy lines, and maybe attach a side panel or two. I put at at the back behind my Clamshell kitchen but I don't see why you couldn't just set it up beside your T@B and maybe add a visor or tarp to connect it to the trailer. 

Here's a photo of my "storm" arrangement (CLAM Traveler + tarp):
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2020
    Just putting it out there that our Isabella has experienced no water problems , just an FYI . We have had it up during some rain and it had no problem shedding water while the underside stayed dry . We love the Isabella , and would only consider an upgrade to be a Walker . Everything else would be a step down from the Isabella . We have had a PahaQue 320 awning, and it was no where near the quality or sturdiness of an Isabella . I cant even say it was that much easier to set-up than the Isabella . Still had to be fed through the keder . The Isabella just has more support arms and the main railing to install . I can single hand the Isabella in about 15 minutes or less . 

Oh, BTW . The Isabella awining is available from "All Pro Adventures". They call it the Deluxe TAB 320 Sun Canopy .........but it is 100% the Isabella imported from Denmark . 

https://allproadventures.com/collections/teardrop-accessories/products/deluxe-tab-320-awning
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    @B0atguy -- I have reached out to the only retailer in my state listed on the Isabella website.  Waiting for them to get back to me.

• Options
    PNWtabber said:
    @B0atguy -- I have reached out to the only retailer in my state listed on the Isabella website.  Waiting for them to get back to me.
    If it’s Elwell, I couldn’t get them to respond. Would definitely recommend talking to All Pro instead, since they carry the same product. https://allproadventures.com/collections/t-b-accessories/products/deluxe-tab-320-awning
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 185
    PNWtabber said:
    Sorry, just edited my post which may help you ........

"The Isabella awining is available from "All Pro Adventures". They call it the Deluxe TAB 320 Sun Canopy .........but it is 100% the Isabella imported from Denmark ."

https://allproadventures.com/collections/teardrop-accessories/products/deluxe-tab-320-awning  

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    @VictoriaP and @B0atguy -- Where is the head banging on computer emoji???  I have been on the Allpro website so manytimes and didn't occur to me that was the Isabella.  I guess because they call it a "sun canopy" and my main concern right now is rain, I just didn't look.  

OK, the Isabella is $689 on the Allpro site, weighs 15 lbs, and is 5 feet deep.  The Allpro awning is $529, weighs 15 lbs, and is 6 feet deep.  So the Isabella is $160 more and provides less coverage?

• Options
    PNWtabber said:
    @VictoriaP and @B0atguy -- Where is the head banging on computer emoji???  I have been on the Allpro website so manytimes and didn't occur to me that was the Isabella.  I guess because they call it a "sun canopy" and my main concern right now is rain, I just didn't look.  

OK, the Isabella is $689 on the Allpro site, weighs 15 lbs, and is 5 feet deep.  The Allpro awning is $529, weighs 15 lbs, and is 6 feet deep.  So the Isabella is $160 more and provides less coverage?
    A little less coverage, WAY better construction, higher quality materials, more cross support beams which makes it more stable in windy conditions.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @PNWtabber - if you want an easy, inexpensive alternative, consider the King Camp (Hasika or LaPuta brand on Amazon).  Very versatile, light weight, easy to deploy.  You can also use it longwise as seen with the CS below.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @PNWtabber - if you want an easy, inexpensive alternative, consider the King Camp (Hasika or LaPuta brand on Amazon).  Very versatile, light weight, easy to deploy.  You can also use it longwise as seen with the CS below.

@Sharon_is_SAM I thought about this as a good, less expensive option for sun or rain (or as a bridge to a CLAM shelter!), but how well does it perform in windy conditions when over the Tab door? Seems like it would need as much or more in the way of tethering lines to keep it stable.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    If it is windy, we simply lay it down.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    My wife bought some keder strips (technical name?) and sowed it onto tailgate canopies made for SUV's. The ones she bought had good structure. More versatile and economical than the ones sold for teardrops. 
  • Options
    Actually the king camp pictured above would work great with a keder strip sewed onto it.
  • Options
    @WayfaringStrangers -- there was a DIY awning thread on this forum a few weeks ago.  I got the impression from the posts that you need a heavy duty sewing machine to sew the keder rail track.  What kind of sewing machine did your wife use?

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/152228#Comment_152228

• Options
    TheTabsterTheTabster Member Posts: 9
    For anyone who is confused about the All Pro Deluxe TAB 320 S Sun Canopy: this product is actually manufactured by Isabella in Denmark and imported through their U.S. rep, Elwell Corp of Washougal, Washington. Since All Pro makes no mention at all of the Isabella trade name for this product on their website, it's tough to figure out. I contacted Elwell and they clarified for me. Also, this sun canopy is waterproof and opaque, not translucent.
  • Options
    @PNWtabber
    She used a Jenome sewing machine with upholstery weight thread.