Options

Clarification on Aftermarket Roof Rack Installation

Hey, I looked through the forums quite a bit and found some good resources on installing the roof rack, but I found conflicting information on the spacing of the aluminum frame members.  

On this thread: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4154/diy-roof-rack-on-t-b-similar-to-outback and on this manual from nuCmp: https://nucamprv.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/2043072192632, the roof rack needs to be attached 10" from the center of the bottom trim and then every 8" on up for 10 total attachments or 72":

However, I was looking at the structural drawings nuCamp also provides here: https://nucamprv.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/2043071800901, which shows uneven spacing on the roof frame - 8.5" / 10.5" / 12" / 10":

This has made me very hesitant to drill into the roof without actually knowing where the frame cross bars are at.

I've tried stud finders without any luck.  I've looked for condensation on early mornings without luck.  

Was there a model year that they switched from one roof frame to the other or any way to definitively know which spacing I would have on my Tab?

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Architectural drawings trump all imho, but it may behoove you to inquire directly of nucamp.  
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    On what year and model T@B are you looking to install roof racks @Patrick?

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Member Posts: 22
    When I bought it last month, it was listed for sale as a 2017 model year but the sticker on the tongue has a manufacturing date of 05/2016.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Patrick, the frame sticker date of manufacture tells all. Beginning approx April 1, 2016 the 2017 models went into production. My date of manufacture is 04/2016 and I definitely have a 2017 model. Good luck with this.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited December 2020
    My 2019 has factory racks. The first screw in the Yakima track is 10 inches up from the center of the horizontal trim in the back. From that point they are mounted 8 inches on center (as depicted in the first photo in your original post).  Hope this helps...

Edit: I noticed that the drawings you referenced are dated 8/8/2019. I imagine they are for the 2020 model year (My 2019 model was built in July of 2018).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Great info, thanks!

I was also looking at the dates, and didn't understand the discrepancy when the roof rack installation guide was last modified 12/17/19 and the structural drawing was dated 8/8/2019, but it makes sense to have structural drawings for the next model year and aftermarket guide for prior model years.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    edited March 2021
    Patrick said:
    . . . However, I was looking at the structural drawings nuCamp also provides

Wow!  Great find.  How in world did you get that drawing . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Patrick said:
    . . . However, I was looking at the structural drawings nuCamp also provides

I found it under the support documents here: https://nucamprv.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/44001201446

Direct link to structural drawings here: https://nucamprv.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/44001867242-tab-320-structural-documents
  • Options
    One more item to consider, both the installation guide and structural document could be accurate.  There is some overlap where connection points in the roof rack installation guide would line up to the frames cross members per the structural drawing.  But I am not sure why NuCamp would use 8" spacing when they could hit every cross member instead.

• Options
    Patrick said:
    MuttonChops said:
    I found it under the support documents here:
     https://nucamprv.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/44001201446

Thanks, again.
    For some reason I can only view those pages when using the link you provided.
    On my own, keep getting not Authorized to Access message.
    Kind-of-like it's a dealer only area.  Internet Software is getting too complex for me

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I have the Yakima rack on my 2017 (manufacture date 8/16).  Would be happy to take some photos and measurements for you when I get home.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    I have the Yakima rack on my 2017 (manufacture date 8/16).  Would be happy to take some photos and measurements for you when I get home.
    that would be awesome!
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Here are some pictures.  Dimension page at the very bottom. Six bolt heads visible.  I assume one is hidden under the lower cross bar.

Note factory black caulk on unused holes. Hmmm????

10 1/4" from center of bottom trim piece to center of lowest bolt:

Hope this helps.  Good luck!!!
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 63
    @Patrick- I am following this thread as I really would like to install the Yakima rack on our 2015 320u. Looks like something I can do myself, but very nervous about drilling holes without positive crossmember locations. NuCamp tells me the parts are on back order for the foreseeable future. Did you find an alternative?
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q

• Options
    norwood said:
    @Patrick- I am following this thread as I really would like to install the Yakima rack on our 2015 320u. Looks like something I can do myself, but very nervous about drilling holes without positive crossmember locations. NuCamp tells me the parts are on back order for the foreseeable future. Did you find an alternative?

Yes, I could not find the Yakima tracks nor the long Yakima cross bars in stock.  My original plan was to use rhino rack tracks (the tracks work identically and are very similar in design), yakima landing pads and towers, and then just use 3/4" sch 40 black iron or galvanized pipe in lieu of the cross bars (same outer diameter). 

Instead of yakima landing pads, towers, and pipe cross bars, I am going to try mounting this rack on the rhino rack tracks which I hope will be a more polished look and is quite a bit less expensive than the yakima components: https://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks/SportRack/SR1020.html?
  • Options
    Patrick said:
    . . . 
    Was there a model year that they switched from one roof frame to the other . . .

Comparing older Factory Floor Tour Pictures to the 08/2019 Drawing would confirm there were design changes to the TAB Roof Frame.
    While it is difficult to tell from a picture the Factory Tour image suggests a more even spacing of the roof crossbars. So the Roof Rack Installation may not have been updated for any crossbar changes.

Even with recent model year roof racks appearing to have the 8-inch bolt spacing it couldn't hurt to contact NuCamp Support and confirm all is well/correct.
  • Options
    While it is difficult to tell from a picture the Factory Tour image suggests a more even spacing of the roof crossbars. So the Roof Rack Installation may not have been updated for any crossbar changes.

Very cool, I think that makes it pretty definitive that we need 8 - 8 1/4" centers for the roof rack connections.  where did you find the factory tour photos?

norwood said:
     It looks like all the yakima components are now available: 
    Tracks:https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Yakima/Y01135.html
    Landing Pads: https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Yakima/Y00246.html
    Towers: https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Yakima/Y00148.html
    Cross Bars: https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Yakima/Y00411.html
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Content deleted . . . was based on incorrect model year assumption.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Contact tech@nucamprv.com, but be patient. The factory is shut down last week and this week and Creed will be playing a catch-up game to take care of the emails. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Very cool, I think that makes it pretty definitive that we need 8 - 8 1/4" centers for the roof rack connections.  where did you find the factory tour photos?
    Not sure I agree with your conclusion as your T@B is model year 2019.  The reference measurements provided by @Tabaz are from a year 2016. And the NüCamp "instructions" are from an earlier publication date.

So if it were my T@B, I'd contact NüCamp Support for additional confirmation.  And would include in that request the apparent difference in cross-bar spacing with a request for an explanation.

No, my tab is a 2017, manufacturing date 05/16, 3 months prior to Tabaz’s
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    So I ran out of daylight, but I got one of the tracks on today.  I can verify that the 8” c-c is accurate.  I originally went with Tabaz’ measurements but missed the second to last one on his drawing with 8 1/4” spacing.  The following 7 1/2 spacing righted it back to the 8” c-c.  So one hole had to be plugged.  It is very easy to know when you hit or miss the cross member, I recommend a 1/16” pilot hole first to check.  On the one I missed, I could feel around with a paperclip to know that I was right next to it and the small hole was easy to plug with silicone and then top with butyl tape.

I also bought very long tracks based on nucamps installation guide showing 10 connections at 8” spacing, so I just continued to run it up all the way to the crossbar supporting the ceiling fan. 

Edit: Removed pictures until I can lower quality from a PC
  • Options
    Patrick said:
    No, my tab is a 2017, manufacturing date 05/16, 3 months prior to Tabaz’s

Excellent.  I misread a post on your model year.
    Would be helpful to create a 'signature' with your T@B and TV information for future posting.
  • Options
    Just a quick update with some forum size-appropriate photos.

Parts:
    Rhino Rack Tracks: https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Rhino-Rack/RRRTV208.html 
    Sport Rack Roof Rack: https://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks/SportRack/SR1020.html 

Notes:
    1. I had to modify and replace some hardware for the sport rack as what it came with was insufficient. If you are not comfortable doing so, I'd recommend the yakima route.
    2. Because of the curvature, it is incredibly helpful to just slightly pre-bend the tracks before you begin to attach them to the roof.  If not, the first attachment goes on easy and the last is very difficult.
    3. Also because of the curvature, you really can't accurately pre-measure and drill the tracks and the roof separately.  The tracks have an additional 1/32" - 1/16" on each spacing as they are on the outer radius.  If I were to do it again, I'd separately drill and attach the bottom point and then drill the tracks and roof together, working up.

Marking out the right rail:

Right rail installed, marking out the left rail:

Both installed and test fitting the roof rack:

(pardon the missing plastic fitting on the right track - I need to reinstall)
  • Options
    kheybornekheyborne Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2021
    @Patrick thanks so much for posting this info, incredibly helpful.  I am contemplating a similar project.  Two questions if you don't mind:  Am I correct in asuming the aluminum cross pieces are tubes, nut solid stock?  May I ask what you used for screws to attach the tracks to the cross pieces?  Thanks again for any info - nice job!

(@kheyborne - if you place an “@“ before a member’s name, they will receive a notification.)
  • Options
    @kheyborne 
    Am I correct in asuming the aluminum cross pieces are tubes, nut solid stock?
    Yes, the cross pieces are tubing, from what I could see / feel from the holes I drilled, they matched what is shown in this picture, which is rectangular aluminum tubing:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/8k/b1d4tc36ubw8.png 

May I ask what you used for screws to attach the tracks to the cross pieces?  

If you go the rhino rack route for the tracks, the tracks will come with screws or rivets to attach, depending on the version.

I thought about screws (which is what is stated in the installation guide), but was hesitant because I didn't want to risk a steel screw stripping out the aluminum structure and didn't want to worry about screws working their way loose.  I instead went with rhino rack tracks that come with rivet mounts (this version: https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Rhino-Rack/RRRTV208.html) 
  • Options
    On another note, it looks like nucamp has hidden their documents behind a login wall (you cant access them from the links I originally posted).