Options

Anyone use a Colorado or Canyon with the Dura max diesel to tow a 400?

jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
edited December 2020 in Trailer & Towing
We have an early model 2019 400 that we currently tow with a 5.0 liter F150. No problem towing at all but looking for something that gets better gas millage when not towing. While I assume the Duramax will get better MPGs while towing its rated at 30mpg highway not towing and that is about 10mpg better than our F150 gets. 
For those of you who do have either the Colorado or Canyon how does it pull your 400, especially in mountains? Would you buy another one? Any issues that would make you think again about buying one? 

Thanks
 20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi

Comments

• Options
    swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
    I tow a 2020 TAB 400 BD with a 2020 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, powered by the 2.8 litre Duramax diesel.
     I’m very pleased with this combination.
     I’m not a fast driver.  If I were, the acceleration capabilities might be unsatisfactory.  As it is, I’m entirely satisfied.
     I installed an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler, which makes a decent difference.
    Also installed are add-a-leafs on the rear suspension, particularly useful for towing with the softer ZR2 suspension.
    This is my first diesel.  I’m impressed with the fuel efficiency and low end torque.
    After a lot of research and consideration, I decided to install an oil catch can when the vehicle was new.  My impression is that this could pay off down the road, as it will significantly reduce the amount of oil that would otherwise eventually build up in the intercooler and intake.  It’s satisfying draining the sludge that the catch can separates from the PCV system.
    Most modern diesels have the potential for emission system issues.  So far, no issues with my Duramax...
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited December 2020
    I have a Colorado LT with the miniduramax, although i tow a 320s. I will attest that the mileage is great with & without the trailer. 37mpg average on a 500 mile trip(w/out trailer). This is my 3rd diesel, so I’m biased!😏
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    @swiftwave, thanks for the insight. Glad to hear things are working out.

@4ncar, have you had any issues outside of regular maintenance you've had to deal with? 

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    @jrhamel: GM had an issue with all of their 6 & 8 speed automatics(in all lines, corvettes, & Escalades, Tahoe’s as well as Colorado’s). The fixes varied from a fluid change to full rebuilds. I was on the rebuild list. It was covered under warranty and I was provided with another Colorado as a loaner; as good of an experience as a major warranty claim could be. I have 56,000 miles on the clock, 20,000 since the rebuild.

other then that, no issues. Truck performs very well, I am still in love with my truck.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    @jrhamel, also towing a 320S BD with 2018 Chevy Colorado 2.8 DuraMax. 20K miles all good. Mileage has been great 14 mpg towing in 7000' NM mountain divides and 17-18 in flat country depending on the wind, at 65 MPH max. TV empty not towing - summer 28-32 MPG.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    @tybladesmith, Did you have the shaking issue with your transmission? Looks like GM fixed that issue after the 2019 models. Have you had any other issues with yours. 
    Where in SW Wisconsin are you? We live in the Madison area.

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    @jrhamel, I have had no issues with the transmission. I did have a recall on a def issue - no issues since. We are in Pville.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    ealdersonealderson Member Posts: 7
    I am towing a 400 with a 2016 Canyon Diesel. I am getting around 15 to 17 mpg driving at 70 to 75 mph. If I go 60 to 65 it goes up to around 20 mpg. Not towing I get 27 to 30 mpg highway 23 to 25 mpg town driving. It is a super comfortable truck. The transmission does some funny shifting sometimes. It sounds like they have fixed that on the newer trucks. 
  • Options
    @ealderson: trans issue is a known gm problem; it will be covered under warranty. If you are out of warranty, they may fix it anyway...can’t hurt to ask.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    @4ncar From what I read it sounds like the transmission issues were resolved with the 2020 but maybe its to early to tell. 
    @ealderson Thanks for the info, what it want to hear.

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    @i would hope to think!😅
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    @ealderson or @swiftwave, or anyone else with a Colorado/Canyon towing a 400. Do you find the need for anti sway or does the built in sway control suffice? Also, what about mirror extenders? Need or nice to have?
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    We have a 2018 Colorado DuraMax towing a 320S BD. We have never had any transmission or shifting issues. We added the Intellihaul camera system, cheaper than ins. deductible. Our mileage is similar to @ealderson
  • Options
    swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
    I use a weight distributing & sway controlling hitch.  I use it whenever I’m on the highway, so I don’t have a comparison of how it drives on highway without this gear.  I do know it drives very well with the gear.
    I also have detachable mirror extenders.  I find them very useful.  I would not want to tow far without them.