Options

2021 nuCamp T@B 400 Boondock - Installing Rear View WiFi Camera

2021 nuCamp T@B 400 Boondock - Installing Rear View WiFi Camera

Product:

Note: I’m not making any claims about the quality of this product— it isn’t perfect but it meets what I was looking for to reuse an old phone for the screen instead of similar products that have screens.  This post is about installing it and the steps would apply to other products that simply need 12v power hookup.

My location choice:

7 screws under the “bumper” allows you to pull it open - there is double sided tape under each of the screws but it can just be pulled open (the top stays connected, but I’m not sure how it attached) 

From the other direction:

The bracket is attached with bolts (not the screws it came with) and nuts with lock washers.

Here I’ve pried the black bumper back for a picture to show where I put the wire through:

I was able to simply push the wire end through the same hole that the license plate light wires are coming through.

Here is where the wire comes through on the inside and where I tapped it into the driving lights wires:

I adjusted the angle downward, more for backing up, where I can see the ground directly under the camera:

It is a wide enough that it still works while driving to see what is next to you or if there is someone on your tail but there is a lot of road in the view because of this angle. 

It is pretty stealthy on the black bumper:

All in all a pretty quick and easy mod.  We’ll see how happy I am with the camera itself.  But other systems have similar cameras and mounts and it would only take less than 10 minutes to switch it out. 

Also note—as I can’t point the attached external antenna straight up as recommended I have since found that straight down is better than off to the side for maintaining connectivity in the tow vehicle.

Comments