Options

Remove batteries?

Trying to figure out if I need to remove the batteries from my Tab 400 BDL for the winter.  It has solar, and even under the cover there seems to be enough juice to keep the batteries charged.  (The battery monitor shows a little charge going in, and batteries read "full" at 13.7V).  I believe that the batteries are two, 6V AGM's (yes, @Verna?).
If I keep everything turned off, is this sufficient to protect the batteries?  Removing them from a 400 BDL seems like a bit of a pain - doable, but not easy. 
We live in southern Ohio.  Temps are typically in the 20's-30's at night, sometimes teens.  We rarely get down to zero, but it's been known to happen (we've even gone below, but it's been a few years since it got that cold).
If I need to remove the batteries, is there an easy way to get them out?
2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited January 2021
    When fully charged, turn battery switch off and leave them in. Solar will continue to charge if the panels get any sun. Starting 2nd winter on my 400 and batteries have never been out.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I left them in last winter (the winter before they were being used daily), @TresK3, with the solar panels facing south, and the battery switch turned off. They stay charged all winter. The cover was on it for two weeks in outside storage, batteries turned off, and enough sunlight came through the cover to keep them charged. 

Actually, many with the AGM batteries, turn off the batteries and leave it alone all winter. You could check on it , but without the parasitic draws, the batteries should stay charged all winter. 

For the record, those batteries are heavy!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    Good to hear.  Thanks to both @Verna and @N7SHG_Ham!
    2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    A fully charged battery, with the battery switch off, will hold a charge for months.  Even without a solar panel.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi