Norcold Fridge Out Shelves In!

Thought I’d share my recent modification. It is not fully completed yet but pretty close. Please don’t judge my lack of skills. 😝 I have a 2005 DM and nothing is level or even so trying to square everything was quite challenging. Best I can do especially since I have no carpentry background!

After many many a trip I found the fridge space to be absolutely useless for my needs. I cook outdoors and use a food cooler and a drink cooler. I needed more space inside to store the items that would always be going on trips.  I made the big decision to remove the fridge. NuCamp did the removal (it was in for floor rebuild) and capped the propane line and tied off the electrical wiring. I was left with this huge glorious open space.

I wanted to hide the wires and protect them in some way from items shifting during travel. I put a backer board up. 

I then added shelving based on existing storage containers and the idea of having a jug(s) of water of two readily available.  I may or may not utilize the 5 gal container and sink on my trips, depending on circumstances. I added spacers that can be moved, again depending on needs. I used MDF boards to save on cost and not knowing how badly this would turn out. 😝 Drilling into the sidewalls was terrifying that first time but went well. I merely used 3/4 dowels and 1 1/2” screws. (Notice my attempt at contact paper. Realized it HOLDS everything but PULLS everything out too so that was quickly discarded)

Now the cabinets. After a few practice attempts at placing the hinges, a few errors and a lot of patience and thought, I finally succeeded! Again, I have never done anything but cut a board before so this was huge! 🤷🏻‍♀️😎 

Now to put the cabinets in....this ought to be interesting!

Yay! Not perfect, far from it but it works, is ‘relatively’ level and is exactly what I wanted. Surprisingly my cabinets are level, it’s the older ones that aren’t! I may consider installing new hinges on those to level them out as well. The hinges have so many up/down, side by side options you can really hone in on where you want them. The older hinges are one and done. 

So I need to decide on hardware location and style (and to replace all since they won’t match) and then I will be done...I think! Very rewarding experience. Thank you to RobKo on the Dutchmen IO Group for his advice! 

HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA

Comments