Options

wireless backup camera, attached to the license plate

Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
edited March 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
March 20, 2021 Update: The stock camera works for my setup, but, it may obscure most license plates. After purchase, you can order a "free" camera with a smaller mounting bracket that will not obstruct the license plate. I've been out on 3 camping trips with this camera and I'm super happy with it.

The "stock" camera is shown below, mounted upside down because there isn't enough clearance below the light. It partially obscures my license plate, but only the words "TRAILER" which is ok. In some jurisdictions it would obscure the state/province name, so you'll want to order the extra camera mentioned above. I'm going with this set up 'as is'. 

Original post: 

I highly recommend this backup camera, available on amazon:

AMTIFO HD 1080P 7 Inch Digital Wireless Backup Camera for Trucks,Cars,Vans,Campers,Hitch Rear View Camera Kit with Stable Signal,DIY Guide Lines - AM-W70

I had it installed by my RV dealer today and wow, is it ever high quality! Backing up the trailer is a whole new, almost stress-free experience! The RV dealer was so impressed, they're going to install it in their company vehicles.
2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Great feedback. Thanks for sharing!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    Amazon reviews are mixed?
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• Options
    edited January 2021
    @NovaTab - Canadians seem to like it  ;) The slow refresh rate is noticeable, but I don't back my trailer up at 100 mph, so the refresh rate is fast enough for me, LOL.

• Options
    jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    Where did you mount the camera- on license plate holder or elsewhere? What is it wired too, and did that require drilling into the body?
    2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Hi @jcrystal - Best described in a photo :) The camera is built into a thin, 7" bar that screws into the same holes as the license plate. I outlined the bar in green in the photo below. The camera is wired into the license plate light and has an external antenna that you can see running just above the license plate holder. No drilling required. The tech mounted the camera upside down so that there is room for it, just below the license plate light. The camera angle is fully adjustable and is positioned perfectly to see a wide arc around the rear of the trailer.

Also to add: the monitor plugs into a cigarette lighter in the vehicle and can be mounted on the window or dash using a removable suction cup. The camera is functional when it is turned on and when the vehicle headlights are on. So you could also use it while traveling to see who is behind you :), hopefully not the po-po.

• Options
    jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    Thanks! Very helpful
    2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    this one has much better reviews over 1700
    $90
    comes with more accessories

• Options
    Hi @NovaTab - what brand is this camera? I'm interested to see what the camera itself looks like.
  • Options
    Hi click the link please in my post

• Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2021
    Unfortunately there are states that will ticket you if something obscures part of the license plate, such as the Texas in that pic.  I was hoping that I’d found a reasonable priced camera, but alas the search continues. 
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ckjs said:
    Unfortunately there are states that will ticket you if something obscures part of the license plate, such as the Texas in that pic.  I was hoping that I’d found a reasonable priced camera, but alas the sea4ch continues. 
    Hi @ckjs - "Texas" is not obsured in the plate - it is the word "Trailer". LOL. I took a partial picture that does not include the jurisdiction of my plate, partly for privacy, but as my profile will tell you, it is "British Columbia" :)

But I did look it up and I see that TEXAS in positioned at the top of its plates. That is unfortunate. Thank you for the heads up. I hope I don't have any problems here.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I purchased a similar wireless setup from Amazon, but got the dual camera one.

It came with a similar camera to yours.  In the manual it said if I email them they will send a free second wireless camera.

Have a  choice of an RV one that looks like a toy block with an antenna or one like yours but with a smaller single hole bracket.  I'm opting for that one because the RV one looks like it would go up near the roofline of a larger RV.

Do have to hop thru a few hoops to get the free one.  They want a review on Amazon with pictures, then a screen shot of the review sent to them.

It's been rainy here in FL so I haven't had a chance to install it.  The original camera like yours is going on my truck, and the free smaller one is going on the T@B when I get it.

I did hook up the camera/monitor sitting inside of the truck and the images were really good.

The one I purchased was 

LeeKooLuu F09 HD 1080P Wireless Backup Camera 5’’ Display Digital Signals 2021 Newest Chips for Trucks,Small RVs,Campers,Cars Two Video Channels Hitch Rear/Front View Observation System Night Vision  

It's $109, then there is a $20 off coupon.  When I purchased it labout a week ago the was a $30 coupon

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Buyer beware.  The 'free second camera' usually comes with the stipulation that you review them 5 stars first.  Which means the existing glowing reviews are heavily skewed with paid-for 5-star ratings.  This is a common tactic used by sellers to inflate their reputation.  Be very suspect of non-name-brand reviews on big resale sites.  

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nicolenguyen/her-amazon-purchases-are-real-the-reviews-are-fake
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    TomCanada said:
    Buyer beware.  The 'free second camera' usually comes with the stipulation that you review them 5 stars first.  Which means the existing glowing reviews are heavily skewed with paid-for 5-star ratings.  This is a common tactic used by sellers to inflate their reputation.  Be very suspect of non-name-brand reviews on big resale sites.  

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nicolenguyen/her-amazon-purchases-are-real-the-reviews-are-fake
    Yeah, they want me to post a review and send them a screen shot of it.

After I get the camera I can always go back and change it.

But this seems like a decent company. 

I currently have a wired system in my truck from them, and the camera got water in it.  It kept working for a while after it dried out, but now has a bad image.  I looked up my purchase thru Amazon and saw I had a 2 year warranty that was expiring this March.  I couldn't find contact info for the company so I chatted with Amazon and they refunded my purchase price.  

What's odd, is that the 2 free cameras they are offering are for sale on Amazon also.

But the camera that comes with the kit isn't offered for free or for sale anywhere.  Maybe the second cameras are a different frequency?
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    Here’s a link to my previous post about the wireless camera I am really happy with: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/134928#Comment_134928
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    As an update I got the TV camera installed, and finally the camera on the T@B.

Both work great, the images are really clear.

For the T@B camera, I drilled a hole thru the plastic bumper behind the license plate which allowed me to get to the  taillight/license plate wiring that was inside of my "headboard" at the bottom. I pushed the camera power cord thru the hole and used the supplied 1/2 taps to connect to the license plate wires.  Then I used electrical line putty to seal the hole.

I used the camera as a rear facing one watching the traffic coming up behind me on our last trip.  Image stayed steady and clear.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Yes @Tampakayaker - I'm super happy with mine!
  • Options
    oneokieoneokie Member Posts: 9
    I’m wondering about using some small self-tapping screws to mount the wireless camera and solar panel onto the colored plastic facade above the Lise ceiling plate. Is there a reason NOT to put a small screw into that plastic piece? It “feels” like there is space between the surface of that piece and the body of the trailer. Anyone have experience with this?
  • Options
    oneokieoneokie Member Posts: 9
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    This thread list may help:  I search backup camera license.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/search?Search=Backup+camera+license
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TowingTipsyTowingTipsy Member Posts: 19
    I just installed a wireless backup camera (DoHonest HD Digital Wireless Backup Camera and Monitor Kit). I spliced in to the license plate light and it works great. The bracket also had to be installed upside down and does obscure a bit of the plate, but I can still see the tags and the numbers. 
    I considered installing it along the bottom of the license plate instead, vs upside down.  Has anyone tried this?
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2022
    Yes, @TowingTipsy I installed ours at bottom of the plate.  Scroll down to 6th photo here..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13734/wireless-backup-cameras-monitor-added

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods