Options

120V Outlets and Inverter

We have a very new 2021 T@B 400. I recently discovered an issue with the 120V outlets (the ones  that also have the USB outlets included) that are located by the rear bed and below the driver’s side dinette. In both cases I am unable to insert a plug into the upper outlet. I’ve tried multiple plugs and they only go in about half way. The lower part of each outlet works fine.
Also on the outlet by the bed, when I insert an outlet tester into the lower plug it shows an open ground condition when it’s powered by the inverter. With inverter off and on shore power the outlet tester indicates correct wiring with no open ground.
I contacted our dealer who suggested the open ground fault might be a bad inverter and we should make an appointment with the service department.
I don't want to make an 250 mile round trip over Continental Divide to the dealer in winter so I plan to hold off on that until at least Spring. Meanwhile we have our first camping trip planned for early March at Arches National Park. We don't have to use the inverter but it would be helpful to power a CPAP device. Since the CPAP does not have a three pronged grounded plug is there any issue with using an inverter powered outlet with an open ground? Any ideas on the outlets that plugs won't fit into all the way?
2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
SW Colorado

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Don't know all the answers about the ground issue.  Depending on the wattage of your CPAP, you can plug an inverter into one of the 12V (cigarette) outlets and run the CPAP with it.  (The CPAP should be less than 180 watts for this to work..even less is better.)  Since any inverter has its own power requirements, you might want to check to see if your CPAP has a 12v adapter that will plug right into the 12V port. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    We do have a 12v adapter for the CPAP that we used in our previous pop-up truck camper. The only 12V port for it is located by the front dinette but that is a temporary option as well.
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I think open ground with inverters might be normal, common with inverter generators.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 990
    Yes I believe the open ground is normal when on the inverter.  When on shore power the ground is read all the way back to the house panel or the rv pedestal.  Hopefully some can confirm this but I think your ok and I think I remember our trailer behaving the same way when I tested it just after purchase. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have a 400 and used a Resmed 9 and now have the Resperonics Dream Station CPAP.  I have used the inverter in the trailer without issues but will add that it uses more power thus way.  I do not use the humidifier when I am boondocking as it requires more power to do so.  Your best option is to purchase a 12V DC plug (cigarette style end) for your CPAP as this draws less power and is much easier to use. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    That is encouraging to hear and something I can follow up with NuCamp to verify. We still have the other outlet issue but it is not an urgent problem.
    SW Colorado