Options

Outside shelters: Gazelle or Clam?

Clams are about $300 and Gazelles are about $70 less. Does anybody have experience to help me decide?
2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
Jeff & Amy
Now in Manistee, MI

Comments

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I"ve been in both.  They get pretty warm inside.  The mesh/screen is so fine to keep out no-see-ums that it cuts breeze.  A fan helps.  Other than that, the Gazelle quality seems to be just as good.  
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    We have a Clam. Very easy to set up and we really like it.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    Clam has worked well for us for the past couple of years.  We were lucky enough to get it as part of a heavily discounted end of season sale at Bed Bath and Beyond.  The wind panels have come in handy at times for privacy, and windblock. I agree that it can get warm. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    edited January 2021
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Jackie_DaveJackie_Dave Member Posts: 73
    I too will be looking to purchase a screen tent for this upcoming camping season. As I was reading the comments that have been posted, one poster mentioned to make sure to buy one with a "Rain Guard" so not to let in the rain coming off of the roof. So, I finally found what he was referring to. If you look at the roof designs, there is absolutely a difference. So I suppose it depends on the conditions in which you are using the shelters. Is it worth the added expense for the rain guard? That's up to you.
    2018 T@B 320-S / 2007 Toyota Tundra
    Harpers Ferry, WV
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    We got a similar style from Costco on clearance last fall for a little over $100.  Its a Lightspeed Pack and Go Gazebo.  It sets up quick, seems sturdy.  Only thing missing compared to a different screen house we had is a hook in the middle to hang a lamp.

Not sure if Costco will be carrying it again this year.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I too will be looking to purchase a screen tent for this upcoming camping season. As I was reading the comments that have been posted, one poster mentioned to make sure to buy one with a "Rain Guard" so not to let in the rain coming off of the roof. So, I finally found what he was referring to. If you look at the roof designs, there is absolutely a difference. So I suppose it depends on the conditions in which you are using the shelters. Is it worth the added expense for the rain guard? That's up to you.
    I have the green one that lacks the flaps. I’ve only used it in the rain a few times. With the wind walls it was drier than I expected. But if I lived in an area where I’d be frequently camping in the rain I’d probably get the one with the flaps. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    norwoodnorwood Member Posts: 63
    +1 on the Clam. Easy set up and quality construction. Highly recommend the rain flaps.
    Dennis and Mary Jo
    North Carolina
    2015 T@b Max Q

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    +2 on the Clam. I have the 6x6 with the walls and it served as a workshop, a bike garage and a cooking area out of the rain and wind in AZ for two winters. The fabric is still very flexible, not brittle at all. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    We got the Coleman 11*11 and love it.  Got for about $140CAD at Costco (around $110 USD) and have used for a few seasons ready. Big enough to house a picnic table and still move around it!

https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Instant-Screen-11x11-Feet-Center/dp/B00K7ZWL5U

• Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We love our Clam. It's a miracle of engineering--literally sets up in a minute! 
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Thanks for the great input folks.  =)
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    We have a Gazelle and have been very happy with it. One thing to note with either brand, is that they are six feet long when folded up so you may need to be creative when stowing it for travel depending on your traveling setup.

Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    We have a Gazelle and have been very happy with it. One thing to note with either brand, is that they are six feet long when folded up so you may need to be creative when stowing it for travel depending on your traveling setup.

We laid ours on the floor between the bed while driving.  Luckily we were only going to one campground and set it up while we were there so it was out of the way.  If it was just a stop over I guess I would throw it in the back seat of the truck overnight.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    BlueYonderBlueYonder Member Posts: 19
    We opted for the Gazelle G5, which is adequate for the two of us as a sun/insect shelter. We have a 400, so we can comfortably retreat inside the camper in heavy or extended rain events, and the collapsed size of the shelter is about 62” long, which will stow sideways above the wheel wells of our Ford Ranger TV. Very easy to put up and take down. Amount of space needed, and expected conditions for use will vary for each of us, so choose based on your requirements.
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    We love the Gazelle. It is quite easy to set up and take down and often lift it over the campsite wooden benches/seats to minimize bug hassles.  
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin