Options

Can you run Dometic Cool Cat heat pump on 2K generator?

I noticed the Dometic Cool Cat mnfg specs say it uses only 1300 watts for AC so has anybody used a small generator like a Honda or Yamaha to power this thing?

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    IIRC The consensus on the DM forum was the quality 2K gens worked but some had problems with bargain brands.  The starting current of the compressor is the challenge.

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    My memory is that it didn't work for most people.  Most were using a Honda, and apparently each generator is "slightly" different and each Cool Cat is a "slightly" different, enough that the compressor kicking was an issue.  Some hit it lucky with a good combo, but most did not.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    I've not done this, but Micro Air sell a soft start kit for the Cool Cat that reduces the starting surge current so that the 2K generators can handle it
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have a 2019 400 with CoolCat and a Honda 2200i generator and it will run the AC. It probably should have a soft start installed as it complains, but it will do it. The Honda 2200 has 50% more cc in the engine than most generators of the 2k range and that may be why it can do it and others fail.

The issue is the locked rotor starting current, once running the generator is only taxed at about 1/2 load.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    While we do not use a generator, I did install the Soft Start on our 2018 400.  I definitely noticed that the compressor does start a lot easier.  Don't notice it kicking in when the compressor starts. Just a very gentle start. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    @N7SHG_Ham I have the same setup. I finally installed the soft start in October so I haven't had much of a chance to use it. What I saw I liked. I should have installed the soft start a year earlier (when I actually bought it). 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Bear122959Bear122959 Member Posts: 1
    You might also want to consider the altitude where you will be using the generator.  My 2500 watt Onan would run my 400's A/C at home, about 4,000 feet asl.  However, when I went to the mountains, about 9,000 feet asl, it would overload the generator.  I finally upgraded to a Firman 2,900 watt and no longer have any issues, other than it uses more gas.

According to https://www.generatorsource.com/Generator_Output_Rating.aspx#:~:text=The standard derating formula states,is typically closer to 5%., you lose about 2-3% with every 1,000 feet of elevation.  If I'd known this before, I wouldn't have gone through 3 generators before finding one that finally worked for me.