Options

Another newbie question ..this time about solar panels and connection to shore power

Hi, I have a new T@B400 2021 Boondock with built in solar panels. I am at for 2 months hooked up to shore power. Is there any danger with overcharging battery if the solar panels keep charging but I am not discharging the battery?
Should I disconnect shore power periodically and switch to battery?
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,514
    No worries.  Your solar charge controller reduces the output to prevent overcharging.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,015
    As Sharon said, you're good to go!  Keep it hooked up to shore power with no worries of overcharging.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    JerseyGirl13JerseyGirl13 Member Posts: 9
    Many thanks! This T@B community is awesome!
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Hi, I have a new T@B400 2021 Boondock with built in solar panels. I am at for 2 months hooked up to shore power. Is there any danger with overcharging battery if the solar panels keep charging but I am not discharging the battery?
    Should I disconnect shore power periodically and switch to battery?
    Thanks for any advice.
    I wouldn’t keep the trailer hooked up continuously to shore power.  Once your battery is charged up, turn the battery switch off, and unplug from shore power.  You can periodically flip the battery switch back on and check the battery voltage on your Victron battery monitor or use the Victron iPhone app to monitor the battery charge.  A better or easier solution would be to buy a smart charger, attach it to the battery and let that maintain your battery and float the charge.  Inasmuch as the manufacturer says it’s okay to keep the electric converter plugged in, running it periodically will save on the wear and tear of this electrical component in your trailer.  Heat from running electrical equipment does degrade things over time.  
    e.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ