Options

Empty fresh & grey tanks

DanWeitzelDanWeitzel Member Posts: 59
We have a 2016 T@B Qmax with only fresh & grey tanks (no bathroom).  Our only interior water fixture is a kitchen sink, we do all our cooking/cleaning outside so not using the sink at all.  At this time both tanks are empty for winterization.  Since we don't plan on using either tank should we at least keep several gallons of clean water in each of them (after de-winterization)?  I am thinking of about 3 gallons in each just to keep any seals wet, is this a good idea.  
2016 T@B 320 Qmax, 2020 KIA Sorento, The Woodlands, TX

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Not necessary.  Typical winterization calls for empty tanks.  Some members leave the drain valves open and cover the opening with fine mesh to encourage drying.  You want to avoid any gray tank odors, so make sure to fill your p trap with antifreeze unless you have above freezing temperatures, then just use water.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Not wondering about winterization, here in Houston it hardly ever gets below freezing for more than several hours.  What I'm asking is should these tanks have some water in them (during non-freezing weather) or should they remain dry all summer long since we are not using them.  Will there be any long term damage to the tanks if they are never used/filled?
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    IMHO occasional use is better than no use.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    It might come down to how clean they are.  Once I completely drained my gray tank and decided not to add any "Happy Camper."  It wound up smelling pretty acrid.  Added water and the Happy Camper, problem solved.  I might skip it if winterizing is an issue, but  maybe not in summer.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @DanWeitzel - tank management if you never plan to use them - this is a good question and it has never been discussed here.

I wouldn’t worry so much about anything drying out as much as I would be concerned with bacterial growth in the tanks - especially the fresh tank.  Other than emptying and sanitizing at intervals, I wonder if you should consider keeping your plumbing lines, pump and fresh tank filled with something to prevent algae and bacterial growth.  I think I will pose the question to nuCamp and see what they say.

Re your gray tank, like pthomas, I would add something like Happy Camper to the gray tank with a couple gallons of water. Just to keep the odor potential down.  Rinse then fill the p trap with water and cover to prevent it from evaporating.  Common cause of cabin odor is a dry p trap. You may want to change it out annually just to make sure.  

The tanks are solid except where the intake and outlet valves are located.  No need to cover those areas with any water.  No harm done.  

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    @DanWeitzel - tank management if you never plan to use them - this is a good question and it has never been discussed here.

I wouldn’t worry so much about anything drying out as much as I would be concerned with bacterial growth in the tanks - especially the fresh tank.  Other than emptying and sanitizing at intervals, I wonder if you should consider keeping your plumbing lines, pump and fresh tank filled with something to prevent algae and bacterial growth.  I think I will pose the question to nuCamp and see what they say.

Re your gray tank, like pthomas, I would add something like Happy Camper to the gray tank with a couple gallons of water. Just to keep the odor potential down.  Rinse then fill the p trap with water and cover to prevent it from evaporating.  Common cause of cabin odor is a dry p trap. You may want to change it out annually just to make sure.  

The tanks are solid except where the intake and outlet valves are located.  No need to cover those areas with any water.  No harm done.  

Not an expert, but I think leaving water in a fresh water tank, either full or partial, will still allow potential algae or something growth.  I had a 3 gallon water jug with a pump on my screen room, and when I went to empty/refill it, the pump hose was pretty slick/slimy feeling, even though the water was clear and had no odor.  I scrubbed the hose and washed out the jug.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input.  I think I will sanitize both tanks & leave some Happy Camper in the grey tank.  Drain the fresh tank & water lines.  Probably do this each spring after de-winterizing or if for some reason I decide to use them. 
  • Options
    @DanWeitzel  - I contacted the Tech at nuCamp.  He said that nuCamp does not have a set protocol for this scenario.  He said their protocol is to sanitize the system at least once a year.  He said he would probably blow out the lines to remove any moisture.
  • Options
    Thanks for checking with NuCamp for me.