Options

Installing Victron Battery Monitor Inside T@B 320S

I believe this has been discussed in the past...but I'm not sure there has been any clear resolution.
Does anyone know if there is a location inside of a T@B 320S that the shunt from a Victron battery monitor can be properly installed?
I have recently asked NuCamp for a wiring diagram so I will share if I receive anything. 
I'm bascilly trying to determine if there is access to the negative lead of the battery, inside the camper, prior to any branch connections (for proper installation of the monitor shunt).  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,688
    This thread has pictures and descriptions of where the battery wiring goes as it disappears into the trailer: junction box on the tongue, and then a bus bar near the Alde compartment.  Whether or not the Victron would be happy anywhere along that route is beyond my pay grade.  If you could run the negative cable from the battery directly into the trailer, I suppose that would work.
    The shunts that have been wired easily inside the trailers are the newer models with the battery compartments inside.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,507
     I believe this has been discussed in the past...but I'm not sure there has been any clear resolution.
    Does anyone know if there is a location inside of a T@B 320S that the shunt from a Victron battery monitor can be properly installed?
    I have recently asked NuCamp for a wiring diagram so I will share if I receive anything. 
    I'm bascilly trying to determine if there is access to the negative lead of the battery, inside the camper, prior to any branch connections (for proper installation of the monitor shunt).  Thanks in advance!
    Is there some reason you don't want to put it up front with the battery?

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 267
    @Marceline
    I'm not completely opposed to putting it in the battery tub.  I just thought if there was access to the proper wiring, I could avoid putting the shunt in a waterproof enclosure (like many have) and running the 'phone-line' for the display through the camper.  

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,507
    @Marceline
    I'm not completely opposed to putting it in the battery tub.  I just thought if there was access to the proper wiring, I could avoid putting the shunt in a waterproof enclosure (like many have) and running the 'phone-line' for the display through the camper.  

I was too lazy/chicken to do that wiring so here is my solution:
    I got the Victron SmartShunt instead of the BMV-712. The SmartShunt has no display and sends the data via Bluetooth to a phone. I bought an oversize battery box and partitioned it. I have the battery on one side and the SmartShunt on the other side. I think that I will also have room to put a solar controller in there. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @Marceline
    That's a great idea!  I'm leaning towards upgrading to two, 6V batteries...so space is a bit of a premium.  I know it's been done, but just thought it might me a little easier if everything could be done on the inside.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,688
    My 712 shunt was smaller than I expected:  fits in a project box only about 8 x 4 x 3.  All the wires stuffed in fairly easily, and I left the display inside, too.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Ill try to get pics tomorrow. I installed the shunt in a weather proof box in the tub, and routed the wire into my 320S and installed the 712 display next to the sea level monitor on the kitchen wall. Tricky, but doable.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for your responses!