Options

Reservations needed for full hook ups?

vitovito Member Posts: 181
In general, will I be risking not able to get a full hook up site if I just show up at a typical RV campground? Making a reservation commits me to travel which might be more or less than I end up wanting to do that day, but with the very small holding tanks on the T@b and wanting to be able to use the shower and toilet, it seems a full hoop up is essential. Am I more likely with some chains, like KOA, to find full hook ups? My biggest fear as we start our RV experiences is that we will end up in some sleazy places and my wife will say "This RV thing is not for me". Many years ago when we did some tent camping I relied on the Woodall's catalog, which more than once steered me to a terrible location. 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The answer is sometimes. It depends on where you are going and when you are going. In the summer on a weekend, I think it is a good idea. I like the Good Sam website because it rates the appeal, the facilities, and the restrooms. I think they are fairly reliable ratings, too. The other thing I have done has done an Internet image search or searched for reviews on a campground if I am unsure.

I try to do research for spots along my route and save those to a map, to give me come flexibility. I would rather dry camp overnight in a Wally World than be at a sleazy campground, myself. That being said, if it is just for overnight, it is really hard to go wrong with Forest Service or state parks. Most places have water and you shouldn't need to empty your tanks after just one night. So, if you are traveling, you don't need full hook-every night. You might have to refill your water tank, but I have been able to score sites pretty close to the water outlets.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sandra is right. I have even called and made reservations during the afternoon. By that time you usually have a pretty good idea of where will be that night. on week days, you have a little more wiggle room, unless you are near one of the big vacation spots, like a national park or an amusement park.

For example, I knew I needed to have electricity last July while in Moab. I made my reservation well in advance. I also made a reservation at a COE park along I-70 that had electricity so that I could have a/c. Glad I did because it was around 100 degrees and high humidity. On my return trip, I made a reservation late in the afternoon at an RV park near the interstate. Their are a lot of phone apps and I carry the Good Sam directory with me, too. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The fed sites I've seen have a minimum two day advance for reservations so can't do last minute - unfortunately.
  • Options
    I was able to do a same day reservation at Atwood in Ohio (COE) on the phone.

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    If you need full hook-ups, you are going to want to make the reservations ahead of time.  There is a wealth of information out there to help you find a good campground, I personally like RVParkReview, with that site you will have a pretty good idea of what you are getting into.

I am generally just looking for electric sites, so on longer trips I have simply called ahead in the afternoon to once I have a good idea of how far I am going to go.  This has not been a problem so far.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - Phone, what a concept, I've just gone by the website and couldn't do it.