Options

new 320s solar panel/battery question

I have read the owners manual, and variety of Forum comments.
It is my understanding that when the battery cutoff switch is turned off, the Factory-made rooftop solar panels on will continue to charge the battery. Is that correct?? 

And there are mentions of removing the battery for winter, and setting this up on a "trickle" charge, but we are using trailer for occasional winter camping on the coast. Is the solar panel enough for a trickle battery charge during the winter with occasional coast camping? Purchasing a battery charge detector soon, and still looking at the solar power app.
2024 Tab 400 Boondock, Oregon

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,516
    edited February 2021
    The solar is directly connected to your battery and will continue to charge your battery even with the battery switch turned off as long as there is adequate sun.  Best practice is to make sure your battery is fully charged before storing it, then you can better track the effectiveness of your solar charge.  Only you will be able to identify if your 105 watt solar panel is keeping up - sun dependent.  There is no need to remove your battery, but if it is a standard lead acid battery (not AGM), I would check it at intervals to make sure it is maintaining it’s charge via solar.  A good battery monitor is helpful/essential.

Owners without solar and standard lead acid batteries may find it easier to just remove the battery and trickle charge it during storage or just routinely hook it up to a charger.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BaileyBailey Member Posts: 37
    Great, thanks!
    2024 Tab 400 Boondock, Oregon
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,692
    You can just turn the battery switch off, and a fully charged battery will hold a charge for a long time.  Unless you like the 60 pound deadlifts needed to remove the battery.  My stock lead acid battery is over 4 years old.  Sometimes between trips I just keep the portable solar plugged in between trips. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi