Options

Window Struts

We watched a bunch of videos about the Tampa RV show and noticed that there were campers with windows like our Tab 400. However, these used a latching strut instead of the screw type that ours uses. There looked like there were 3-4 positions at which the window would stop. To close them, the window is pushed all they way open and then the latches were deactivated, allowing the windows to close.
These struts would allow for one handed operation once the latches were opened.
I wonder if these struts could be retrofitted to our camper? Any ideas where I can find these?
2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
Jeff & Amy
Now in Manistee, MI

Comments

• Options
    Richard_RRichard_R Member Posts: 38
    @JeffroNC: Any luck with this? It seems like every newer trailer I've seen recently has the "click-n-lock" window struts. The screw-type version is a PITA. 
    — Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
    2023 F150 Hybrid (PowerBoost drivetrain)
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Richard_R @JeffroNC hasn't been active on the forum since May, 2023.  Perhaps a message directly to them will get a response. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    Tern Overland is one of the companies that has such windows.  Maybe contact them about getting some of their struts.  I actually have one of their windows in my truck topper and really like it.  It is certainly easier to open and close the window than those on our 400.  However the downside is that it only has three opening positions, not limitless like the T@b windows. 

I would like to have the Tern struts on the large front window of our 400 as that one is the most difficult to open.  But I'd like to keep the standard struts on the kitchen window keeping the ability to open the window 90 degrees.  I've never compared the struts to see if you could retrofit an existing window with them but will take a look as soon as I can and let you know what I think.  

Overall I like the Tern windows better.  The bug screen/privacy shade set up is way, way, way better than what is on the T@bs.  It's on a roller system and it actually keeps all bugs out! Also the privacy shade has a nice reflectix layer on it.  The problem I see is that I do not believe the windows would work on a curved surface such as the T@bs have.  They would have to figure out how to get a flat window onto a curved surface.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Richard_RRichard_R Member Posts: 38
    @bergger: Thanks for the info. When I get around to it, I'll also take a close look at our windows just to get a better idea of what I'm working with.  

— Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
    2023 F150 Hybrid (PowerBoost drivetrain)