Options

Greetings from the uk

PsyludoPsyludo Member Posts: 2
Hi there! Just joined the group from London. I'm a Scot (Gordon) married to an American(Sue) and have lived here for some 40 years. We got our TAB400TD last season following the usual creakiness of bones and sinew after years of camping. We always swore we would never get ourselves wheeled white goods but the TAB swayed us. We managed to spend 60 days in Europe, France, Germany, Switzerland last summer and are heading for Spain and France in June. Love the idea of going to a bed that's raised off the ground, the awning means we double the space, retaining some element of flapping canvas. Still feel that reversing is like backing up spaghetti but I'll crack it somehow. We've had a mover fixed in any case. We pull the S'Cargo with a hybrid so the carbon footprint is minimised. Should any of you US/Canada Tabbers need advice about camping and sites in Europe we would be glad to help. Perhaps we might be able to set up - insurance permitting - a US/EuropeTAB exchange. Any thoughts? Regards to all. Gordon Sturrock

Comments

• Options
    Last year while travelling, I ran across 2 tourists from Germany who both had shipped their small travel trailers and tow vehicle with them. They were on a National Parks tour. 
  • Options
    PsyludoPsyludo Member Posts: 2
    About the 400. After a very damp camping holiday in Denmark we decided to think about a caravan (trailer). We knew we didn't want a cream box. The choices, after some research, were an Airstream, an Eriba 550, or the TAB. We wanted something that was a decent size, had a loo and a wash space/shower. The Airstream was very expensive, 3x the price of the 400 and very heavy. The Eriba too boxlike and we really liked the shape of the TAB. That it had a customised awning, an Isabella, meant we had a good amount of space to move in. The 400 has the double bed at the rear of the 'van. Beneath is storage that can also be reached from a hatch on the outside. There is good storage space throughout, with nets. Important for us is the loo - my waterworks are now elderly - and a washbasin. We shower using the site facilities. The front area with the table is cramped so we lowered the table an use it as a sofa. There is good lighting from the windows and portholes. No-see-um netting and a similar door keeps the bugs out. We don't cook in the caravan rather we have a stove that we use either in the awning or outside. The outfit is easy to tow. We have a Lexus RX450h and it copes fine with the weight, though I'm obliged to use mirror extensions. (Bear in mind that the steering wheel on UK cars is on the right!) The TAB seems to create interest, we often have folks asking if they can have a look. Children are particularly intrigued by it. The Forum here for the brand has the makings of a cult though in my travels I've not seen many. Airstream Europe is now one of the UK dealers so check out their site for details. Will send some photos once I figure out the best way.