2018 RAM 1500 Crew Cab tow vehicle hitch questions

Picked up our tow vehicle - a Certified Preowned 2018 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 w/5.7 Hemi, factory hitch trailer brake controller - now looking for a T@B 320 CS-S for 2021/22 adventures.  (Yes, it's overkill but if we decide on a bigger trailer later, we don't want to have to buy another tow vehicle too.)  What kind of hitch works best for the 320 series?

Comments

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    edited February 2021
    The RAM is definitely not overkill.

I have a 2006 4 door RAM, and even here in relatively flat FL I can feel our 320 T@B behind me at certain times, especially going over bumps/RR crossings.

I would rather have too much power/capability/stopping power than too little. 

And don't forget the weight of all the "good stuff" you will have in the bed of the truck.

I think this is the bar I purchased from Harbor Freight, but I might've gotten the 4 inch drop one.  I can measure later when I get home.  It allows the trailer to sit pretty level when hooked up with the truck/trailer loaded.

HAUL-MASTER

6 in. Drop / 5 in. Rise Hitch Mount $25.99

I also ordered a hitch tightener plate and this rocker ball from Amazon

CURT 40047 RockerBall Cushion Hitch Trailer Ball 7,500 lbs, 2 Diameter, 1-Inch Shank

CZC AUTO Hitch Tightener, Heavy Duty Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 1.25" and 2" Hitches, Reduce Movement from Hitch Tray Cargo Carrier Bike Rack Trailer

The tightener keeps the hitch bar tight in the receiver and cuts down on rattles.

The rockerball is supposed to eliminate start and stop jerking.

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited February 2021
    I can't speak to specific rise/drop on that vehicle, but can recommend all the hitch products from https://andersenhitches.com/

I have probably 50k miles towing with two different ones, no issues, no rust. The ball mount I tow my 400 with I added a greaseless ball they sell and that has been real nice, no mess, no metal on metal, none of the I need more lubercation to hitch unhitch, etc.

I also tow with a Ram, but 2500, it works real nice with a 400. My truck is heavy due to work truck status with tools, in fact I am between 11k-12k all the time with the 400 weight added.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    The 5.7l Hemi is a great engine with reasonable economy (except when towing in the wind!!...) and tons of power. Mine never bogs down towing our 400, even going up Colorado/NM mountains. 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.