Mods for my Tab CS-S

I love this trailer. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted a tear drop. I loved the kitchen on the outside. 60 years later, I finally found exactly what I wanted, a TAB CS-S. Tried to order a new one but didn’t feel like waiting a year. I finally found a 2018. The original owners used it for 3 trips before they decided it was too small for them. It was just like brand new only $10,000 cheaper. Since then, I’ve made some mods that made my life easier.

Having to store the table top, take the wood slats out of storage and set up the bed was a bit much. I wanted an easier method of set up and I needed more storage. I turned my daytime setup into U shaped seating. The space at the back of the trailer was unusable at night. I constructed the permanent box out of some of the bed slats. The top slats still have their webbing to make set up easier. I have no idea why Nucamp would make the table too short to act as a mattress support. I added supports on each side and the table gets double duty. Just grab the front of top slats, slide them out and drop the table in place. In the daytime the bedding is stored in the box. Total cost was about $7.00 for wood and screws.

My wife loves to over pack. Under the sink was a nightmare. I pulled everything out and built dividers out of 1/4 inch by 6 inch tall luan from Home Depot, designed a layout then cut and notched the boards. There’s no glue or nails. The notched joints hold everything together. I put less than half of what she had stored (when she wasn’t home). We have what we need, nothing more and I can finally find things under there. Total cost was about $12.00.

My wife wanted an awning and showed me a $700 awning that attached to the keder rail. That seemed like a lot of money for a little shade. I found glide rollers on Amazon. They come 50 to a pack for $6.00. As you can see in the pics, they’re slightly too big to fit in the rail without some adjustment. Clipping one side down a bit allows them to easily fit the rail. Once they’re where you want them, just twist a 1/4 turn and they lock in place. For the awning, I purchased a 10’ x 12’ rain fly tent and tent poles (yup, Amazon) It goes up in minutes without having to run the end through the entire Seder rail. It takes about the same time to set it up (maybe less) than the $700.00 commercial version. My trailer is gray and the rain fly gray is a nice complement. The total cost for the glide rollers, rain fly and tent poles was less than $85.00. ($615.00 savings)

2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door and a 2018 Tab 320 clamshell.

Comments

• LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    Excited to see pictures pls of the canopy you created pls
  • Marktab320cssMarktab320css Member Posts: 22
    I wanted to post some pix of the canopy, however; i forgot to take some on the last trip. Taking off again in a few weeks and I’ll post when I get back. A few more changes are coming. 
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    Very clever mods!  I've been thinking about how to make better use of the Lagun table in our CS-S.  Your mods have inspired me.  And you really earned that wine (shown in the top left of the first pic).
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
    I’m changing/adding a few more things. I love to tinker. I’m a product designer and even though trailers are not my area of design, I like the challenge that a small trailer provides. On our next trip out, I’ll take pictures of the latest stuff. A simple thing I’m excited about is a side screen for the outside galley. When the wind blows at the beach in the morning, coffee takes forever and food gets cold fast. I saw a cool design on the vestibule trailer site so I’m adapting there’s idea with some of my own. I like the mods because once I’m out camping, I want everything to be easy because I am the laziest camper ever. 
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    Most of my CS-S mods can be disassembled/re-engineered/removed without a trace.  As for the Lagun table I'd like to replace the top with a slightly larger home-made wooden version.  It will fit between the benches without the need for extra bracing.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Marktab320css, there are already products, some commercially available, and patterns available for the clamshell wind screens. But, feel free to invent or upgrade to a better version. Good luck, enjoy and happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    We bought the Keder rope with flap and my wife made the bowed type of awning.  Bought the aluminum poles for the outer edge from Amazon.  Used scraps of the rope to go into the lower rail for the tiedowns.

Ours definitely isn't as large as yours, but big enough to set up a small kitchen under it.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    The $700 units are nice and at first, I was ready to spend the money. The inflatable awning scared me though. Seemed like a good idea that would eventually be a big problem.  after watching the video a few times, it wasn't as convenient as I would like. And I wasn't interested in a room, just a nice awning. I would have been ok with a slightly smaller awning, but my wife and I had a vote on the size...and I lost.
  • LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    thanks, as we would love that canopy mod.  Hoping you can provide some pics and details of the canopy mod for your cs s. 
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I’m changing/adding a few more things. I love to tinker. I’m a product designer and even though trailers are not my area of design, I like the challenge that a small trailer provides. On our next trip out, I’ll take pictures of the latest stuff. A simple thing I’m excited about is a side screen for the outside galley. When the wind blows at the beach in the morning, coffee takes forever and food gets cold fast. I saw a cool design on the vestibule trailer site so I’m adapting there’s idea with some of my own. I like the mods because once I’m out camping, I want everything to be easy because I am the laziest camper ever. 
    If you haven’t already made your own windscreens, I can recommend these, which I think are very reasonably priced. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good job Mark and your experience/expertise as a product designer has paid dividends and obviously can apply to most anything you do!   I can see you prioritize things under the sink and that the essentials are placed up front!   👍🏻😂

Thanks for sharing your photos and mod as they will make a difference for others looking for ideas and upgrades to their trailers.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ