Options

Not Really a Newbie

rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
I’ve owned a couple of trailers previously but have been without for a year.   We live in Palm Beach County and are headed to Lakeland this week to buy a Tab 400, probably a Boondock.  What’s the market like for RV’s lately?   Pre-Covid it seemed like 20/25% off retail was the norm but things may have changed.

I’m looking forward to learning about Tab’s and I’m sure this site will help.

thanks.

Bob
2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    like the housing market...a sellers market! don't expect to get much in the way of any discounts...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I think it depends on where you look. The assumption is that there are no deals to be had. I emailed 20+ dealerships around the country (within an area I was willing to travel) and ended up getting a decent deal within 3 hours of where I live. This was in early December (hopefully taking delivery at the end of March). The bigger issue is availability. I’ve been tracking 400s on RVTrader and there are only 75 or so available in the entire country when it was typically 100+ back in November/December. If you can swing a deal on one already on the lot then that might be your best bet at getting one.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 987
    Yeah it looks like things have changed.  We bought our 2021 400 just about a year ago and got it for 30% off MSRP.  Glad we bought when we did.  Does not look like it can be had now.  Honestly I love our trailer but would not pay the 38-43k that most are asking.  It's not worth it in my opinion.  Keep shopping around and you may find a few closer to the 32-33k price mark.  Still high but not crazy high.  Or what a year and see if people dump gently used ones or the market changes and prices drop. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    You need to realize that MSRP is a fictional number created by each dealer.  Some are listed in the mid 40’s so a 20% discount gets you to the high 30’s.  My experience was no matter what the asking price, the deal was in the high 30’s for a 400 Boondock with the full option list.  YMMV.

Don’t worry buying a boat now is even worse.  Resin suppliers are all in Texas... Most dealers cannot get flooring inventory so orders are the only way.  Order you boat today and get delivery in mid to late August.... and discounts Hmmm, what are those.  Glad mine was delivered last April.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Rrcbov, it sounds like you’re probably heading to Gerzenys Rv?  That’s where we bought our 320.  Tell Bruce, Captain Bob says “hey”.  He’s a good guy.  I just saw him at the Florida Rv Show.  He tried to talk me into a 400.  He should know better, I never buy anything brand new.  I always let someone else take the big depreciation hit.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Currently, I can almost sell my ‘18 32os Outback for as much as I paid for it new 3 years ago...what depreciation! Of course, this all WILL change again, hopefully sooner then later...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    For perspective, I've been stunned by the production lead times noted by several forum members regarding their new trailers.  Also the need for nuCamp to limit any customization because of production schedules. As an aside, the publicly traded stocks of many RV manufacturers have done very well as a result of the pandemic.  And for those who've attempted to reserve their favorite camping sites months in advance - only to find them already taken -  speaks to the influx of new RVers. "Pigs get fed while hogs get slaughtered" is a phrase that comes to mind during these times.  If you find a trailer that comes close to your requirements at a fair price - buy it.  
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.