Options

First Trip in Our 2021 320S and Have a Question

jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
Hello everyone.  After ordering on August 15, we picked-up our T@B on December 15 and drove it to our storage location.  We then waited for warmer weather!  Last night was our first night in our T@B at an RV park near storage.  We are not brand new to traveling by trailer.  We owned a small teardrop many years ago and in August of last year sold a 15 foot Escape Trailer Industries trailer that we owned for eight years.  Our first night in our T@B went fairly well with only one problem identified that I need your help with. 

When we arrived at the full-service RV park, I opened the Nautilus 2.5 User Instruction guide and followed the photos.  I connected my hose to the city water pedestal and to  correct hose inlet on the right side of the Nautilus box as per the user guide.  I then moved the green knob pointed left and the blue knob pointed down for a bit of water into the fresh water tank, like the photo shows in the user guide on page 6 for "Fill Tank".  Since we were at a full service park with a city water connection, I then left the green knob left and moved the blue knob to the right as shown in the photo on page 10.  I then slowly tuned-on the water at the city water connection.  My DW opened the kitchen faucet to get some air out of the lines.  But, that's when I noticed (and heard) a problem.  There was lots of water gushing from a short black hose exiting from the floor under the Nautilus box (driver's side of T@B).  I checked, and the cold and hot water drains were closed, so it wasn't them.  The gushing water was also pulsing fast and then slow from the short black hose.  I turned off the water for a look at things.  I removed the rear bench inside the cabin and looked at the rear side of the plumbing and the Alde tank.  The pulsing appeared to be coming from the yellow flipper valve associated with the Alde tank.  The yellow drain valve lever was in the closed position, where it should be, according to the diagram in the Alde instruction guide. 

Time for something new.  I then turned-off the main water supply and switched the Nautilus to the "Dry Camping" setting--green knob down and blue knob right as on page 9 of the guide, and used the fresh water tank instead of the city water connection.  I tuned on the water pump, opened up all the faucets and got water in the kitchen, bath, and at the outdoor shower.  Eventually we also got hot water from the Alde at each location. 

Then, I decided to test city water again.  I changed the knobs back to "City Water", turned on the main water supply and watched as water gushed out again.  I then switched back to the "Dry Camping" settings and we spent a nice night in our new T@B! 

So, any suggestions for our plumbing problem on City Water?  What are we missing as newbies to a T@B?   

Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Were you using a water pressure regulator? If not, you have been introduced to the yellow flapper valve, which is a way for the trailer plumbing to release excess water pressure.
    If the valve has popped up, then it has sensed excess pressure and released the water.  It can be reset by pressing it back down......but it has to "click" back in to place.  So, go back and have another look at the yellow valve, and see if it needs to be firmly pressed down and reset. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
    @pthomas745 I did have a water pressure regulator and did install it, but then realized that it was defective and no water was going through it.  You're right, I did not "firmly push down and reset" the yellow flapper.  I will do so the next time we go out.  I've also ordered a new pressure relief regulator and will use it.  I did a search on the forum and found a "water gushing" issue in a 2015 post that seemed similar to mine.  They did talk about water pressure in those posts, but didn't suggest the reset of the yellow flapper valve.  Thanks for your advice.
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Good!  Hope it works...it happens to a lot of owners....er...ask me how I know!
    And, they do sometimes fail.  If it won't "reset", then the valve can be faulty, too.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi