Options

License Plate light

DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
The license plate light on my 400 had stopped working.  I replaced it with this light from Amazon: 2PCS Xenon White LED License Plate Light, 12V-24V DC Waterproof 6-SMD License Plate Lamp Taillight, For Truck SUV Trailer Van RV Boats as Step Courtes . The light was a perfect fit and I like the look of the black housing of the light better. $7 for two, have to see how long it lasts.  
2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
Massachusetts

Comments

• Options
    debbie987debbie987 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a rear view camera I want to tie into my license plate light. (This should keep the camera function full time and work as a rear view)  I pulled off the license plate housing and gently pried the light down a little so that I could see the wires. I didn’t want to pull too hard so only about 1/4” of wire was exposed... not enough to tie into. If I pull harder is there more wire tucked up in there? 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    @debbie987  I was able to gently gently pull on the wire and there was enough slack to tap into the wiring to install the replacement light.  There was some sealant which caused some resistance to pulling out the wires. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    debbie987debbie987 Member Posts: 5
    “ gentle “ seems to be the operative word.... thanks for your feedback. I just bought this T@B and have a lot to absorb. Live in NH so I’ll have the winter to study up.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @DenisP, I am getting ready to replace my license plate light with the same one you purchased.  Can you tell me how you tapped into the trailer wiring from the outside?  Specifically, what I am interested in is whether you used a wire connector to make the splice; and, if so, was the hole for the wires large enough to hide the connector(s), but still allow you to pull them out in the future, if necessary?  Thanks!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    @bayliss I gently pulled the wiring out when I removed the bad license plate light.  I was able to expose enough wiring to connect the new light with butt connectors (marine heat sealed type).  I was able to tuck the wires and the connectors back into the Tab.
    Take care
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited December 2022
    Great, @DenisP!  Thank you for the quick response.  I changed out the light and it was a simple job.  I was able to pull out 3" of slack wire and easily tucked the wires and connectors back inside the hole they originate from before securing the light.  The mounting holes of the new light are slightly off from the original lamp, but I used the existing hole for the left side and created a new hole for the right side, which centered the light over the license plate.  I agree that the black body of the light looks better than silver, especially with the black trim on the trailer.  Much brighter as well.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 137
    debbie987 said:
    I just bought a rear view camera I want to tie into my license plate light. (This should keep the camera function full time and work as a rear view)  I pulled off the license plate housing and gently pried the light down a little so that I could see the wires. I didn’t want to pull too hard so only about 1/4” of wire was exposed... not enough to tie into. If I pull harder is there more wire tucked up in there? 
    Hi debbie987, could you provide a link for the rear view camera you purchased?  Do you recommend it?  Thanks!

Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California