Options

"Varmit Repellent Kit Installed at Factory $500"

A Facebook new buyer reported paying for this at his dealership but doesn't know what it entails. Is this real or a scam? New 400. In 6 years despite mice and rats outside no issues in my T@B. 
2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
Paulo Coelho

Comments

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    I think you answered your own question
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    They probably tacked on the varmint kit with the overpriced extended warranty that won't cover anything that actually breaks!  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    $500 Wow just another way to separate you from your money. I saw an invoice for a new car one time. One line said MNB for $250. Turned out MNB stood for My New Boat.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2021
    I’m glad I wasn’t  drinking coffee Dale!  🤣😂🤣
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I just installed on on my Tacoma after a rodent ate through my wiring harness.  Dealership wanted hundreds.  Toyota Service advisor said get it off Amazon, it’s a two wire instal, for $28.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    This is a DIY project. Some rodent repellent spray foam, liquid weld, screen material and a couple hours of your time.Cover large openings in frame (behind tires mostly in my model) with the screen. Foam smaller openings where LP lines enter the belly pan, then go inside and look in every cabinet and cubby for those plumbing, electrical, and LP runs that pass thru the floor and foam those. 

Pretty easy task and WAY cheaper than buying your service technician a new boat!  =)
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2021
    Spray foam, whilst it works in the short term, will breakdown with the normal movement of the TaB and open back up the areas you are trying to seal.  If you do opt for foam, use the higher quality dense fire retardant type, it should hold up longer.

That said, I would not use foam in areas that might need to be accessed in future, like the fresh water tank hood up area that comes up through the floor.  The oversized hole allows access to the clamps that hold the tank hose in place, and need to be undone if the tank ever needs removal.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Yep...gotta be careful not to make a possible future project more difficult.  ;)

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited March 2021
    Years years ago RVs were made a lot loser if you know what I mean. People use to stuff steal wool in the gaps left after construction. They claimed the little buggers could not chew through it. I found brass wool better because it did not rust. Usually available at marine stores. At one time I used combination of brass wool and foam. The wool as a barrier and the foam for a weather tight seal.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Can anyone share real-world experience of using a few drops of pure peppermint oil in the access points as an alternative? I'm using it, and don't have mice, but didn't have mice beforehand either... maybe because I sealed up the basement for better winter protection.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @DougH, drops of Oil of Peppermint will keep spiders away. I put a few drops around the Alde and any through-the-floor pipes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    During my years of keeping the boat moored at marinas I found a solution of oil of Peppermint, Lavender, and Texas Cedarwood in water with a touch of dishsoap sprayed on surfaces did a great job of keeping spiders at bay (spider are a pesky problem in marinas). No chemicals, environmentally friendly, and the boat never smelled better! From what I understand a stronger dose of peppermint solution works well against four-legged friends.

Recently had an issue with the Tahoe. Nasty little critter found a home in my heater fan housing. $400 repairs later the shop also sprayed Rodent Defender in all openings. So far...no unwanted riders. 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com