Options

Inverter Question

We ordered a TAB 320.  I was thinking about buying a generator to take along trips where we want to camp dry.  So, here's my question: instead of buying a generator why not just use a pure inverter hooked up to my car battery with my engine running?  (I know next nothing about all of this so I apologize if my question is moronic.)

mark

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,218
    I think simplicity out of all things is why. With an inverter generator you just have a single cord from generator to RV. I know the Ford F-150 has a generator add on option so not sure what limitation exists where you could just hook to the running engine. Another thing is exhaust fumes. My guess is a running vehicle engine running near your campsite would generate a fair amount of carbon monoxide. A generator 15-20’ away wouldn’t be a threat. But on the other hand I know vans run inverters off their engines...so what do I know?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,703
    Depends on what you are trying to run.  Your inverter attached to a running car would work.  With all the side effects that manyman pointed out.  But, if it is just for a short period of time, it might not be a big issue.
    And...if a generator is considered annoying by some....even more annoying would be a vehicle idling away for a couple of hours.
    So, what are you considering using with your inverter?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2021
    Karm said:
    We ordered a TAB 320.  I was thinking about buying a generator to take along trips where we want to camp dry.  So, here's my question: instead of buying a generator why not just use a pure inverter hooked up to my car battery with my engine running?  (I know next nothing about all of this so I apologize if my question is moronic.)

mark
    Sounds like you are worried about running the battery down via your trailer lights, TV, pump, frig, etc.?   As people asked above, what is it you are concerned about?  They do make small, efficient, quiet generators that will allow you to charge up the battery or even run your AC unit if that's your plan.  Generators out away from other campers is fine and as noted, running a generator in close proximity to others irritates those who are looking for peace and quiet and the pure sound of nature.  Solar is an alternative too for charging up your battery and when boondocking in an area like the desert of the SW it is a viable alternative, depending on the size of the panel you choose.  Solar isn't cheap, but if you plan to  do more dry camping than camping in campgrounds, etc. it is a great alternative.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    KarmKarm Member Posts: 18
    I am viewing a generator as a backup system when camping dry.  I plan on carrying one propane tank and two batteries plus an additional external solar panel.  I was also considering having a small generator.  Today I came across a product called cargenerator which is basically a pure inverter.  It struck me that why bother with carrying a generator when you can use your car engine for the same purpose.  My car runs quieter than any generator I have been around.  Car fumes are definitely issue but I imagine being in an outside environment where the fumes would probably not be a big issue.  I am imagining this inverter to be a purely backup emergency system if I exhausted my bateries.  Or am I imagining a make believe problem?