Options

Interior door of 2014 320S is not Smooth

KarenKKarenK Member Posts: 50
edited March 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
The inside of my door is not smooth, but rough, like small goose bumps.  I tried to take a picture, but it doesn't show well.  Anyhow, I would like to make a section be smooth so I can stick some items to my door.  I have two thoughts, sand the desired area smooth or paint the desired area smooth.  Any other ideas/suggestions/warnings?  Is the material of this door vinyl or something else?

@KarenK Photo too large and deleted.  Moderator
2014 Little Guy T@B S Max

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    That material is very similar (if not actually) to Polywall.  You can easily sand it smooth using an orbital sander or by hand.  See the post below for more info:
    "Inside Door Panel Gone Bad - SOLVED"
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    The door surface is a heavy plastic or vinyl layer glued to the foam insulation.  See TabAz discussion here:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12883/inside-door-panel-gone-bad-solved/p1
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    This stuff sticks to almost anything even textured surfaces. Home Depot or Lowe’s 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    That's what I used, and my towel holder fell off on the door side. The 3M VHM tape stuck strong to the towel holder, but not the door.
  • Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions.  I read the 'door gone bad' (many times) and was concerned if I sanded anything my door would go bad!  But if Tabaz can sand it, so can I.  I was wondering if I should sand, then use the Loctite Power Grab glue on the door side.  But maybe I will try sanding then the 3M tape again and see where that gets me.
  • Options
    If you're looking for a very strong bond, then try 3M Dual Lock two-sided "velcro" type tape.  This stuff is like cement.  While it does allow you to remove the item attached, the tape itself is very difficult to remove from the surface it's adhered to.  You would not need to sand the door prior to application.  Never use this on a wallpapered or painted surface.  And use it sparingly!  I applied a thin strip to the back of my television and the plastic surround it goes next to.  I used way too much and have to do a Hulk Hogan to get the television released from the plastic! 
  • Options
    Ooooh!  This type, or this. Maybe I can also stick the fire extinguisher to the bottom of the door???
  • Options
    They're both the same product, only different colors.  I'd be reluctant to adhere the fire extinguisher to the door.  They weight about 4 pounds.  I'd be concerned about the seal between the plastic polywall and foam insulation behind it.  The constant hard closing of the door may start to break that bond.  But give it a try if you like.  I doubt that the Dura Lock would not hold it to the door.
  • Options
    Thanks Tabaz.  I have the same concern, so best not to stick it to the door.  Last thing I want is a door that goes bad because of something I did!  I didn't like it where it was originally mounted because I kept hitting myself on it.  I have removed it, now don't know where to attach it :)  
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    edited March 2021
    KarenK said:
    Ooooh!  This type, or this. Maybe I can also stick the fire extinguisher to the bottom of the door???
    Your first link is a "low profile" version of Dual Lock. I use the one in your second link (clear). They both attach to the surface with the same 3M VHB tape that @Dalehelman recommended above. 

Link to list of all 3M Dual Lock products

I would try again without sanding. I would clean the surface with alcohol, and then stick and firmly press the adhesive for a minute or two. It would also be a good idea to wait at least 24 hours before hanging any weight from it. The tape needs to "cure" in order to reach its full bond strength and according to 3M that takes 72 hours.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Learn something new every day.  Didn't know the Dual Lock adhesive was the 3M VHB tape.  I thought it was "special" to Dual Lock.  Thanks Marceline! 
  • Options
    Thank you Marceline, I just realized something.  The towel holder came with tape on, so I followed the directions, pressed it onto the door and held it for three minutes.  It stayed until I left the camper to do something else.  When that didn't work, I removed all tape and used the 3M VHM that I used for the solar panel.  That didn't stick to the door either, but it stuck fine to the holder.  If I put the tape on the door first, as you described, let it cure, then add the holder, which seems to accept the tape no problem, that may work.  I will experiment with that suggestion.
  • Options
    KarenK said:
    Thank you Marceline, I just realized something.  The towel holder came with tape on, so I followed the directions, pressed it onto the door and held it for three minutes.  It stayed until I left the camper to do something else.  When that didn't work, I removed all tape and used the 3M VHM that I used for the solar panel.  That didn't stick to the door either, but it stuck fine to the holder.  If I put the tape on the door first, as you described, let it cure, then add the holder, which seems to accept the tape no problem, that may work.  I will experiment with that suggestion.
    Personally, I would use the 3M Dual Lock instead of just VHB tape. If you get the VHB tape to stick, it is going to be really tough to remove the towel holder from the door if it breaks, gets nasty looking, or you change your mind. If you use the Dual Lock, you'll at least be able to remove the towel holder, and then you can attach something else to the Dual Lock left on the door, or you might be able to remove the Dual Lock remaining on the door with WD40 or maybe heat. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    Learn something new every day.  Didn't know the Dual Lock adhesive was the 3M VHB tape.  I thought it was "special" to Dual Lock.  Thanks Marceline! 
    I think that Dual Lock is actually offered with a variety of adhesives (or no adhesive at all). But I'm pretty sure that clear one is VHB.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi