Options

BMW X5 aftermarket towing options

SchwompSchwomp Member Posts: 5
Hi - I have a 2019 X5 40i and added a Stealthhitch receiver for bike rack use only.  I am now the proud owner of a 2021 T@B400 BD and want to upgrade the Stealthhitch with their conversion package for towing capabilities (tow max approx 6,000 on the conservative side).  According to Stealthhitch, a sway bar is not needed or recommended w/ BMW's.  Curious if anyone is towing with a Stealthhitch package and any pearls of wisdom.  Is a sway bar unnecessary? 

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks.  I saw this, but definitely more a wiring issue.  I plan on using BMW for install and wiring so as not to jeopardize any warranties.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2021
    @Schwomp @pthomas745 I have a modified Class III Invisihitch.  Same hidden vertical hitch adapter port for BMWs. When I first got it and had my favorite mechanic shoppe (with certified BMW mechanics) wire it up, one of the appeals of the BMW, be it a 3, 5, 7, or X series was the built in towing module. Brimming with sensors and German tech, sway is completely controlled by both throttle and individual wheel brake control if a trailer is attached, and any sway was detected. Way cool.  No wonder vehicles like the X5 often win the caravan tow car of the year in Europe.

That towing module is on every BMW world-wide...

...except those destined or built in North America. No really. My 328d was made in Austria. I bought practically every possible option for it. They built it to the order spec, made sure to remove that module, or never wired it into the harnesses for my vehicle to begin with, and shipped it over.

Now you can order the module for $500 and wire it all back into the harness. But just know that the confidence that any BMW can handle sway, may not apply as well to North American BMWs as to BMWs in the rest of the world. May even void a BMW NA warranty.

I discussed the module with my mechanic, and given the wheelbase of my wagon and its weight, and what I would be towing, we concluded it wasn't worth bothering over. That said, I tow a 2000lb 320 with only an 8% tongue weight at times, at speeds up to 65mph, being passed by 18-wheelers, and don't get sway. An X5 should be considerably more capable given its greater mass.

Granted you have a heftier 400, but I still wouldn't be concerned about sway if you keep all the tires at their correct pressure, tongue weight at 10% of the trailer weight or greater, and speed below 65mph.  But you should definitely get a brake controller, and mount the control lever or button where you can get quick access to it.  So if sway ever shows up in some unexpected situation, you can let off the gas, and use the lever to apply the trailer brakes and bring everything back in line.

Additionally a friction sway bar may exert rotational forces that the Stealthitch is not tested for. So they cannot recommend its use.

I don't have a 400 or X5 though, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Also I had some mechanical problems with my Invisihitch, requiring considerable additional welding. I'm not sure if Stealth and Invisi were ever the same company or whether there are any strength issues with the towbar you have. But I can recommend shining a flashlight across the entire width of your towbar and inspecting where it attaches to the rear subframe before every trip. Probably a good practice for any towing setup.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Thank you for your very thorough response - appreciate it!