Options

Possible solution for cracking battery cover "box" due to turbulence?

http://www.purplelineusa.com/products-aeroplus.php.  

Several folks have had their factory mounted T@B tongue boxes crack early on in ownership, and it has been mentioned that perhaps this is due to some combination of "perfect storm" vortex of air coming off the TV combined with height of the TV in relation to the T@B, and the distance between the two.  I wonder if this thing might help in addition to improving MPG on the TV.  Anybody use one of these?  Thoughts?
Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I was looking at that earlier, Sally. I'm interested, but want to do some shopping around. I think it would definitely help my gas mileage.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

I too have considered various air foils to see if it would help mileage.  I don't seem to notice much turbulence with my current setup.  The truck cap may help deflect some air upward.  Jay Rogers has one (not the above brand) that he swears by and has computer models to prove it.

Just today, though, I was reading where one guy says the foil he put on his rig created an upward suction in front of his RV and vibrated his front window loose.  So, I would think that it would require some adjustments and trial and error to get it just right.  So far, I have not convince myself to get one.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Hmmm, we need a guinea pig.  :)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    I bought one of the rounded diamond plate tongue boxes at Tearstock. I think it's so much better than the plastic version on looks, and helping with wind turbulence. Since the bottom is covered and only the back is open, I "think" it's better for less wind turbulence. It is also a bit lighter, so that should help also. 

Also, I saw the new plastic tubs have a metal frame to help correct the flimsy problem of the earlier models. 

I'm still mulling over these air foils....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have the metal frame in my box and I love the color accent TB cover gives. I have wondered if so e crack because the dealer over-tightens them during installation. So far mine is in good shape.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Mine also has the internal metal frame and is also just fine. Never been a fan of the diamond-plate look, too industrial for my taste.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Not sure if mine has the inner metal frame (but guessing it does). VERNA do you have a pic of the new tub installed on your frame? Did you get the Outback platform too, or does it ride flush on the Y tongue like the plastic ones?
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    jkjenn said:
    ...I have wondered if [they] crack because the dealer over-tightens them during installation. So far mine is in good shape.
    It has been my experience that the dealer more often than not doesn't tighten them enough.  Of course, if they use small washers or none at all, over-tightening would definitely crack them even with no wind turbulence.  All four of mine were loose, and I have seen others that were as well.  I took mine out, drilled larger holes and installed bolts instead of the self-tapping screws that were used.  I also used larger washers, and since mine did not come with the metal braces, I used L-brackets to anchor the back to the T@B.  So far, it has worked with no problems.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Not sure if mine has the inner metal frame (but guessing it does). VERNA do you have a pic of the new tub installed on your frame? Did you get the Outback platform too, or does it ride flush on the Y tongue like the plastic ones?
    I'll have to the picture later. Yes, it rides in the same place as the plastic tub did. It is a bit taller and wider, so I think the two batteries will fit better. I did not get the platform. It's over the top of the black water outlet and that's the one you need to be most careful with.
    Verna, Columbus, IN