Options

320 CS-S clamshell lock problem

Purchased used 2016 T@B 320 CS-S this week.  Towed about 800 miles (!) home with no problems other than Midwestern downpours and beat up Interstates.

Now, can't unlock clamshell latches to open kitchen.  Latches had OEM rubber covers on the entire trip, plenty of water underneath (Midwestern 'spring' rainstorms plus 65-70 mph speeds).  Have blown locks out with air, sprayed graphite in - still nothing more than about 1/8" play.  Neither regular key nor spare unlock them.

Read somewhere about latches working loose in transit, but it's the locks in both right now that simply Do. Not. Work.  Tomorrow morning the extension cord and hair dryer come out, but it seems unlikely that they're frozen.  Not many locksmiths in our corner of rural Nebraska either, though if it comes to that so be it.

Any similar problems/solutions in T@B Land?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Can you call the former owner to verify they gave you the correct key for the locks?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    With our 2019 CS-S we've had both problems.  A bit of lock-tite on the set screws cured the latches dropping off.  I sometimes apply a little pressure turning the handle to the lock position while working the key to unlock.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    mmcneil72mmcneil72 Member Posts: 46
    Both keys work in door lock and deadbolt.  Tried leaning on the clamshell while fiddling with either key but no change.

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    edited March 2021
    Leaning on the hatch helps but put some turning pressure on the handle.  Key for the hatch on our model are angular at the key ring end.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited March 2021
    Our 2017 CSS galley hatch key is different from our door/deadbolt key.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The hatch always has different keys than the doors to get into the T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @mmcneil72 - I will add that you should check the set screw that holds the inside latch from time to time.  One of our first times out, we discovered that one of the latches had opened in route because the set screw fell out.  The latch fell onto the floor of the galley.  Easy fix (and we were grateful for a local Walmart with Allen keys).  
  • Options
    Thanks - have seen references to this issue on the forum.  Have a couple of nice Allen key "pocket knife" sets, one standard one metric.  I'm assuming T@Bs are metric but will check today.  Lots of 'driveway camping' scheduled, still quite brisk in our part of rural Nebraska.
  • Options
    You will be surprised that most screws are square-drive (Robertson, screw sizes  #1 or #2), most bolts and Allen screws are Standard. I do not know about the Swedish Alde—the internal bolts are probably metric. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Have a strange little Tool Shop kit - rachet, racheting screwdriver and umpteen bits which include the square ones.  Am retired computer repair tech so have a variety of small tools for laptops: bought this at Menard's some years ago because it had so many 'odd' bits.  Laptops tend to have lots of small Torx screws plus many tiny #000 Philips head screws.  Mercifully a good pal is 1) a veteran RVer and 2) a retired mechanic so help is not far away.  Will probably start a list so I know what tools to bring along (and lists are good for my happily retired brain....).

• Options
    Marktab320cssMarktab320css Member Posts: 22
    One of the clamshell locks On my 2018 320 needs to be replaced. I’ve searched online with no results. The manufacturer is Strattec. Couldn’t find it on their site. Does anyone know where I can find one? 
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door and a 2018 Tab 320 clamshell.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @Marktab320css - I had a loose “paddle” here:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/70368#Comment_70368

What is wrong with your lock?  It is called a T handle with cam lock.  The “paddle/cam” is the flat piece that rotates into the raised striker plate.  Do you need to replace only the lock cylinder?

You can contact nuCamp for the part number, then order replacement parts from any TaB dealer or do a search for T handle with cam lock. 
    Or, try etrailer to replace the actual cam lock.  Another source is teardroptrailerparts.com.  
  • Options
    Marktab320cssMarktab320css Member Posts: 22
    Sometimes it doesn’t rotate a full 908
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door and a 2018 Tab 320 clamshell.
  • Options
    If the cam is loose, it may not slide under the striker plate.  Make sure the set screw is tight.  Alternatively, you can add 2 thin washers - one under each side - between the striker plate and the metal on the lower frame.