Options

Where to penetrate roof for T@b400 solar installation

I'm installing two Renogy 100W flexible panels on our 2019 T@b400 with full closet.  I want to penetrate the roof next to the vent and run the wires down along the vent, which I believe was the original factory installation before they went with a more stealth wiring installation.  I'm trying to find a picture of the roof where this wire penetration is made, but haven't found one in all the solar threads I've searched through.  Does anyone have a good picture or good information on where to drill the hole in the roof for the wires?  I don't want to hit any of the roof frames.

Thanks in advance!
Rich
2019 T@b 400
2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
Bellingham WA

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Factory install is completely flush under the panel, so unless someone has pulled a factory one off, probably no one has seen exactly where they go through roof. There definitely isn't a combiner or junction box above roof surface like you would have on a lot of RV or home installs 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 497
    Did a similar install, and decided to run the wires down the outside of the trailer to the solar connector on the side:
    I used some raceway to contain the wires - it helps that our graphics helped to hide it.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I have a 2018 400 with factory solar before the newer panels with hidden wires. Here are a couple of pics  hope this helps.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 621
    Perfect @DenisP!  Just what I was looking for.  Thank you!

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Use a dual wire gland sealed to the roof next to the vent.  On our TaB400, the solar wires are run down alongside the vent, which is at the back of the wardrobe/closet (left side looking in the closet) behind the trim bit, alongside the small shelves.  Wires goes down under the closet floor and through to the Alde compartment, where the Victron Blue solar controller is screwed to the divider between the Alde space and under closet area.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    gbartgbart Member Posts: 16
    I recently installed solar on our 2019 400 (large frig vs wardrobe) with cables entering through  small drilled holes in rubber vent boot, down the vent chase and then under the frig ( or wardrobe?) and connected as Denny16 describes above. It eliminated the need for another hole in the roof. 

Gary & Tracy, 2019 T@B 400BD, 2019 Ford Ranger2008 Jeep Liberty, Southern CA desert
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Use a dual wire gland sealed to the roof next to the vent.  On our TaB400, the solar wires are run down alongside the vent, which is at the back of the wardrobe/closet (left side looking in the closet) behind the trim bit, alongside the small shelves.  Wires goes down under the closet floor and through to the Alde compartment, where the Victron Blue solar controller is screwed to the divider between the Alde space and under closet area.
    cheers
    Thanks @Denny16.  That's my plan.  Thanks for the location of the controller.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    gbart said:
    I recently installed solar on our 2019 400 (large frig vs wardrobe) with cables entering through  small drilled holes in rubber vent boot, down the vent chase and then under the frig ( or wardrobe?) and connected as Denny16 describes above. It eliminated the need for another hole in the roof. 

Thanks @gbart.  I'll look into that.  By "rubber vent boot" I assume you mean the seal around the roof vent?

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Why not go down thru the vent itself. I did that on a past RV for a cell antenna. Drilled a small at the bottom for an exit and sealed it with silicone.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Why not go down thru the vent itself. I did that on a past RV for a cell antenna. Drilled a small at the bottom for an exit and sealed it with silicone.
    That's something to consider.  I'd be concerned about having a clean wiring installation on top, leakage into the new vent penetration, and leakage of vent gases into the cabin.  I'm comfortable going with the approach NuCamp used on their earlier installations.  I have the dual wire cable entry gland in hand that NuCamp used.

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Grand, good luck with the install.
    cheers
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Here's a wiring widget that I used on my T@G to run antenna wire out to the roof. It's a great, waterproof way to run wires out. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-CableClam-0-68-Inch/dp/B0002UEOIW

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    Thanks @WilliamA.  I looked at that, but decided I wanted a more flush wiring installation on the roof.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Also, that wire gland is made for single line wire like a coax, which is round.  The two wire unit Horigan posted is the correct one to use and was designed for solar panel 10AWg wire size.  Each type has its own applications.
    cheers
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    No worries. Just to let you know though, the Blue Sea rubber grommet will accept multiple wires of different sizes in the same fitting. I have in mine: CB antenna wire (high performance FM antenna), wire for Cellular antenna and wire for backup camera. Blue Sea also has various diameters of the same system.

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    gbartgbart Member Posts: 16
    @Horigan
    Yes, I routed the solar cables through the sidewall of the vent cover, caulked liberally and then routed the cables down the side of the vent pipe just as you will with the more permanent dual wire gland. The hardest part for me was trying to figure out the cable path to the battery.  The attached pictures may be helpful to you:
    1. The best picture I could find on the Forum showing the vent pipes behind the bathroom sink (thanks to @jimcenname)

2. Cables coming down vent pipe chase behind the bathroom sink and exiting bathroom through hole drillled near red pex pipe

3. Cable entering area under frig/big drawer (wardrobe)

4. Connection to solar controller (tacked on sidewall of Alde area) and exiting to battery under bed. 

Your setup with the wardrobe may be slightly different but hope that helps. Have fun! 

Gary & Tracy, 2019 T@B 400BD, 2019 Ford Ranger2008 Jeep Liberty, Southern CA desert
  • Options
    Thanks @gbart for the pictures!  My full closet interior routing should be easier, but I appreciate the pic of the controller mounting.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    That was possibly the easiest way to go with the larger 3-fridge in place of the wardrobe, but added the width of the fridge to the wire run length.  With solar, the shorter the PV panel run to the controller, the better.  With the Wardrobe, you have access to the rear side of this space, and save about 3-feet of wires.  Probably not much of a difference though, just more holes to drill.
    cheers