Options

Three Day Weekend Coming Up!

CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
edited June 2015 in Camping & Travel
So, what is every one doing this Independence Day Weekend?

We, alas, are not camping, but going to visit friends in Titusville, PA.  It is home to the first oil well, and my friend lives at the park as she is the educater at the museum there, which is also a state park. While we thought to take the T@Bpole, they have a spare room, so we'll use that.  Still spending the weekend in a park, and there will be fire :-D 

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Staying home.  At least 3 state parks and campgrounds are closed due to flooding.  I can get muddy in my own yard ;)

Also getting ready to have my kitchen remodeled in the three weeks while I'm camping.  My former neighbors are the most wonderful remodelers.  Looking forward to a more modern look over the 60's birch cabinets.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Just another three day weekend for us retired guys :-)
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Giving our AC the true test up at Dead Horse Ranch SP! I would have never tried to go with our former tent, but with the T@b we've got a fighting chance at enjoying the outdoors with some respite.

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/DEHO/index.html
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    What PXLated said.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Camping! San Jacinto Mountains, CA :)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Not sure what my plans are yet, but I am trying to work something in as well as spend some time with family. I took Monday off but can cancel it if the weather looks like a bust.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Going camping south of Virginia Beach.  The campground is across the street from the beach so we'll keep an eye out for Jaws and his buddies.  This will be our first real camping trip after the shakedown trip last weekend.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    abenteurer, what is the name of the campground? 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    PXLated said:
    Just another three day weekend for us retired guys :-)
    Ditto.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Actually, just another three days for us retired guys...
  • Options
    JBickJBick Member Posts: 6
    Not going over the weekend, but headed out Monday for 5 days in the Mt St. Helens and Mt Adams area.
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Just heading north. Will end up near Yellowstone NP but probably won't go in. We were there a couple of weeks ago. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    normfun said:
    Just heading north. Will end up near Yellowstone NP but probably won't go in. We were there a couple of weeks ago. 

It's a rough life. :()

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    That's one advantage to living here. We have 10 national parks within 450 miles. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    normfun said:
    That's one advantage to living here. We have 10 national parks within 450 miles. 
    Wow. I am probably in the minority, but I find our closest national park (Cuyahoga Valley) completely lame.

• Options
    The east (starting on the western edges of the plains states) isn't exactly a National Parks haven as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains are gorgeous. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Ok, there's two :-)
    Have never counted, how many are there in the east, say east of the Missippi, compared to west?
  • Options

Fewer.  We have the Hoosier National Forest and Hardin Ridge on Lake Monroe Reservoir in Indiana...I think that's all for federal. The Hoosier National Forest is huge!  I need to go back down to Hardin Ridge this fall since I have my Senior Pass.  Quiet after the kids go back to school, good fishing.

There's lots of different parks in the Blue Ridge and Smokies, plus there's the White Mountains up farther in the Northeast.  I've not traveled as much in the East as I have in the West.  Maine and the rest of the Northeast are on my bucket list.  I'll get there.....but not in the winter!

And don't forget everything around Washington, D.C.  Lots of National Parks and Monuments around there.

There's lots of seashore National Parks along the East Coast.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    There's Nat. Forest in northern MN but other than a couple Nat. Monuments that's it. Not much in SD and ND either. Senior pass is a deal saver in the west, not so much in the central part other than some COEs as far as my looking around.
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    normfun said:
    Wow. I am probably in the minority, but I find our closest national park (Cuyahoga Valley) completely lame.
    But PA state parks are awesome!

Sterling, VA
  • Options

Verna said:
    Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains are gorgeous. 
    As well as Great Falls, Gettysburg, Acadia, Shenandoah.  30 from retirement, so we most often explore locally.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Val and I are lucky living on the Monterey Bay.  Not counting the beautiful campgrounds right in town, within about an hour or so any direction (except out across the Pacific) we have beautiful State Parks.  A few hours East lies the Sierras, hard to beat that chunk of real estate.  
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Staying in town this weekend but headed up to Rainbow campground in the Apache-Sitgreaves national forest, AZ next weekend to get a reprieve from Phoenix heat.  Dry docking and backing in (Lord help me).
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    You can add Assateague Island and Everglades to the list in the east.  You'll not get any shade in either however.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    MarkMark Member Posts: 11
    Working on the house this weekend, but next Wed. the wife and I are heading back up to PA. just north of Pittsburg for an archery festival.  The new T@B will be coming with us.
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    Archery festival - that sounds interesting - do you compete?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Well, I can say that Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood AZ is hot. The AC could not keep up though it tried valiantly putting out cold air while the fridge heated up the front as much as possible...

but it then it thunder stormed and I pitied the tent campers while snug in my T@b. Pretty pre-4th sky fireworks
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516

The silver and white sure is a nice combo.  

As for the rain, our first couple of trips found us in heavy rain.  I to felt sorry for the tenters as we stayed completly dry under our full awning, cooking, relaxing and playing guitar.  I even felt sorry for the monster 5th wheel folks next to us one time because they would not  venture out of their rig with the rain coming down at such an angle.