Options

Another backup camera situation

Last year we had a backup camera installed in our 320S Boondock and had it hooked up into the input of the radio/entertainment/GPS unit in our Wrangler where the vehicle's camera was supposed be. It did not have one. Worked great. HOWEVER, due to towing capacity issues, we replaced our TV with vehicles that do have backup cameras.
Short of getting a wireless system, I was wondering if there's a way to do a splitter/switcher thing so when we're towing, the t@b camera will be active and when we're not, the car's camera will be active.
With the wireless units so inexpensive it seems, silly not to abandon the one that's in the trailer but it sure was convenient.
2021 320 S Boondock
Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
Des Moines, IOWA!

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Do you want to try and tie in another camera to a factory wired backup camera system?

I'm sure it could be done with enough blood sweat and tears and $$$, but will it be worth your time and or expense?  Even aftermarket back up camera systems use different types of connectors etc.

I purchased this 2 channel system,  

LeeKooLuu F09 5 Inch HD 1080P Wireless Backup Camera 5'' Monitor Stable Digital Signals for Trucks,Campers,Cars,SUVs,Minivans Two Video Channels Rear View Camera System Super Night Vision.

I wanted a new camera on my TV and on the T@B so I went with the 2 channel.  
    The same company makes a single channel systems also.

The images are HD and are fantastic. 

I used it a couple of weeks ago while I was towing and was able to see people coming up on me.  Image stayed clear without lag up around 55mph.  That was the speed limit on the back roads I was on.

I wired the T@B camera into the license plate wiring.

I have the TV camera and the monitor wired into the TV reverse wiring so they only come on when backing up.  But the system came with a cigarette lighter power cord, so while towing the T@B I can power the camera using that instead of the hard wire. There is a plug you can use to easily switch power.

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    edited March 2021
    @Tampakayaker I had read about this unit in a post you had earlier. I have two questions. The description says with the camera on continuously, the its range "up to 33ft." I like to monitor traffic traffic coming up on me too, but not all the time. Monitor on and off but I guess the camera itself would stay on. I think. Regardless! Any signal issues?
    I'm a bit confused--you talked about seeing people behind you while towing yet have the monitor wired into reverse so it only comes on when backing up. How does that work?
    And using the license plate mount, any problems with it fitting?
    So much for two questions. THANK YOU!
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    andyboy said:
    I had read about this unit in a post you had earlier. I have two questions. The description says with the camera on continuously, the its range "up to 33ft." I like to monitor traffic traffic coming up on me too, but not all the time. Monitor on and off but I guess the camera itself would stay on. I think. Regardless! Any signal issues?
    I'm a bit confused--you talked about seeing people behind you while towing yet have the monitor wired into reverse so it only comes on when backing up. How does that work?
    I'm towing with a 4 door Ram 1500, not sure of the total length, but like I said up to 55mph I had no lag issues.  I did at first, but found that the monitor antenna had rotated down behind it.  I rotated it so it was peeking above the monitor, tightened the fitting, and it stopped the lag.

Yes, I used the wiring in my truck from a previous aftermarket wired camera setup.  That camera was wired to the reverse light on the truck so the camera was only powered when in reverse,  The camera harness fed the video and power to the old monitor, so the monitor was only powered when in reverse.

The new setup has a power plug going to the monitor .  When not towing I have it plugged into the old wiring so it's only powered when backing up.  The plug is reachable where I have the monitor installed.

When towing I unplug that power connection and plug in the cigarette lighter cord that came with the package. That adapter has an on/off switch built into the plug, so you can turn off the monitor if you want.  This adapter powers the monitor, and with the T@B hooked up and powered for towing, the T@B camera is powered by the license plate light.

By purchasing the original system and answering/posting/reviewing on Amazon the  install in the TV, they sent me a free second camera.  Had a choice of another license plate camera with a single bolt hole in the mount so it gets installed to the left or right of center, or an RV camera that looks like it would be mounted on a roof line or a ladder on a bigger RV. 

The license plate camera that comes with the package is designed to go in the center of the plate so the plate light may interfere.  But the camera can be mounted upside down at the bottom of the plate.  Both types of cameras I got have a length of wire for an antenna and a power cord.  The antenna I coiled on the back of the license plate and taped it in place with Gorilla brand duct tape.  To power the T@B camera on the 320, I drilled a hole thru the plastic bumper behind the plate area that led into our headboard area where all the wiring was located for the tailights and license plate light.  I tapped into the plate light there.

Hope this clarifies your questions.

It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Since you already have a built in backup for the TV, all you would have to do to power the monitor is use the cigarette power adapter, and figure out how to power the camera on the T@B.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    andyboy said:
    I had read about this unit in a post you had earlier. I have two questions. The description says with the camera on continuously, the its range "up to 33ft." I like to monitor traffic traffic coming up on me too, but not all the time. Monitor on and off but I guess the camera itself would stay on. I think. Regardless! Any signal issues?
    I'm towing with a 4 door Ram 1500, not sure of the total length, but like I said up to 55mph I had no lag issues.  I did at first, but found that the monitor antenna had rotated down behind it.  I rotated it so it was peeking above the monitor, tightened the fitting, and it stopped the lag.

Yes, I used the wiring in my truck from a previous aftermarket wired camera setup.  That camera was wired to the reverse light on the truck so the camera was only powered when in reverse,  The camera harness fed the video and power to the old monitor, so the monitor was only powered when in reverse.

The new setup has a power plug going to the monitor .  When not towing I have it plugged into the old wiring so it's only powered when backing up.  The plug is reachable where I have the monitor installed.

When towing I unplug that power connection and plug in the cigarette lighter cord that came with the package. That adapter has an on/off switch built into the plug, so you can turn off the monitor if you want.  This adapter powers the monitor, and with the T@B hooked up and powered for towing, the T@B camera is powered by the license plate light.

By purchasing the original system and answering/posting/reviewing on Amazon the  install in the TV, they sent me a free second camera.  Had a choice of another license plate camera with a single bolt hole in the mount so it gets installed to the left or right of center, or an RV camera that looks like it would be mounted on a roof line or a ladder on a bigger RV. 

The license plate camera that comes with the package is designed to go in the center of the plate so the plate light may interfere.  But the camera can be mounted upside down at the bottom of the plate.  Both types of cameras I got have a length of wire for an antenna and a power cord.  The antenna I coiled on the back of the license plate and taped it in place with Gorilla brand duct tape.  To power the T@B camera on the 320, I drilled a hole thru the plastic bumper behind the plate area that led into our headboard area where all the wiring was located for the tailights and license plate light.  I tapped into the plate light there.

Hope this clarifies your questions.

It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Since you already have a built in backup for the TV, all you would have to do to power the monitor is use the cigarette power adapter, and figure out how to power the camera on the T@B.

2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    Thanks @Tampakayaker, got it! It does sound a bit complicated but no too/. Appreciate you help.

2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    andyboy said:
    Thanks @Tampakayaker, got it! It does sound a bit complicated but no too/. Appreciate you help.

Simple for you if you use the cigarette lighter plug for the monitor, and then find power for the camera.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    andyboy said:

Simple for you if you use the cigarette lighter plug for the monitor, and then find power for the camera.

Or simpler yet: hire a pro to do it! I've got one on standby. Definitely will be using the cigarette light adapter so we can move it from car to car.

2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I bought this for $110.  Not a complicated install.  It works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLZ1HSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I installed the camera on the license plate and fed the wires into the trailer through the same tube as the light for the plate.  From there the wiring includes an on off switch, fuse and a connection to the house battery.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5