Options

Lithium batteries charging to 80%

BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
So ... new 2021 TaB 320.  my batteries are only showing an 80% charge (based on the onboard meter on each battery) I am using shore power. 

Here are the facts:

I recently installed 2 new Lion Energy Lithium batteries. I charged them to 100% before installing.  

I also changed the Victron charge controller for my solar to the LifePo4 lithium setting.  

Finally, I upgraded the controller to a Progressive PD4100.  

My guess is that there is a setting incorrect somewhere limiting the charging. 

Any suggestions?

I also just installed a Victron 712 monitor today... I’ll figure that out tomorrow.  

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,703
    I think you said you have a Noco?  Have you tried a charge with that?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Bclarke, if you have not changed your trailer converter, this sounds close to normal, as the standard converter in many cases will not fully charge the LiFePO type battery. It is my understanding the converter does not produce a high enough voltage to enter the the final charging stage. Most standard converters will charge LiFePO batteries between 80-95%. You can overcome this situation by purchasing a smart charger, which can be set to charge a LiFePO battery, or by simply plugging in a solar panel with a controller. The controller will sense the incomplete battery charge and step up the voltage until the battery reaches a full charge.
    If you choose the smart charger, it does not have to be connected for the complete charging cycle, but only after you've gotten the 80% charge. Just let the smart charger "top off" the battery.

While I am not a solar geek or guru, I  am simply passing on info imparted to me by really knowledgeable employees of the company who installed my 1,400 watt, 600ah LiFePO battery bank, 100 amp (dual 50 amp) controller, 3,600 watt inverter, cerbo monitored system in my 30' trailer. Good luck with this.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    Bclarke said:
    So ... new 2021 TaB 320.  my batteries are only showing an 80% charge (based on the onboard meter on each battery) I am using shore power. 

Here are the facts:

I recently installed 2 new Lion Energy Lithium batteries. I charged them to 100% before installing.  

I also changed the Victron converter to the LifePo4 lithium setting.  

Finally, I upgraded the controller to a Progressive PD4100.  

My guess is that there is a setting incorrect somewhere limiting the charging. 

Any suggestions?

I also just installed a Victron 712 monitor today... I’ll figure that out tomorrow.  
    What do you mean by “Victron converter?”  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @Marceline my mistake ... I meant Victron solar charge controller for my solar panel.  Yes @pthomas745 I do have the NOCO charger and with it can bring both to 100%.   But am wondering how to do so without using the NOCO.  Since I am on shorepower and not able to bring them up through the trailer alone there has to be a setting.  

My goal is to charge them to near 100% while boondocking on solar.  Thus I thought that changing the solar controller setting to lithium would allow that. 

And I am baffled that by using shorepower (and not plugging in the NOCO too) why they won’t fully charge. If the new Progressive controller doesn’t allow for this then why did the dealer swap it out?  
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @Bclarke
    Did they replace the power section in the distribution center? Which model? 4100 is a series. Do you have this switch? 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    edited March 2021
    @JeffroNC I honestly don't know about the distribution center (not sure what it is)...  At the dealer a few weeks ago I added an onboard Progressive EMS and they knew I was adding lithium batteries so they changed out the converter to a PD4135.  I don't know if this unit has "the switch" as I don't see the label that your link referred to.  I believe that it has “magic” settings so it knows the difference.. but very hard to find out.  I will need to remove the back of the unit somehow to take a look....but that appears to be complicated (and a bit scary). 

But my guess is that there is a switch that isn't in the correct position somewhere.  Nothing is easy. 

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2021
    Looking up the PD1435 on General Dynamics web site, I see no mention of this unit being Lithium compatible.   That said, the GD units that are lithium compatible have on switch on the front panel thst needs to be switched to LiPO position.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DelZManDelZMan Member Posts: 11
    https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-content/uploads/Support/manuals/PD4100-English-manual.pdf

See page 2 diagram, pay particular attention to the inset picture. That’s my read.
    2021 T@B400BD / Lewes, DE
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    Setting aside the issue of the PD4135, what happens if you unplug the trailer from shore power? Does the solar bring the batteries up to 100% via the Victron Controller? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    I am experimenting with that right now ... first time we have had sun in a week.  Ha!   I will report back ...
  • Options
    Update:   After a day of running on battery with fridge etc the solar kept the charge at 99%.  We will see what tomorrow brings after running all tonight. 

I also talked to the dealers mechanic...   after trying to reach them for several days.  His take?  If I am at 80% that is all lithiums should be charged to... it is the optimal charge.  I shouldn’t expect anything more.  After I disagreed he insisted .. so that wasn’t much help.   Sigh... 

Calling Progressive tomorrow.  Will share what I learn.  Thanks All 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Bclarke, as the owner of a very large LiFePO system, the batteries can easily be kept at a 99/100% charge for fairly long periods of time without detriment to battery/bank or battery life. We were told to discharge the batteries to the 75 or 80% range every 3 or 4 months and that would help the batteries equalize as they charged from the deeper discharge state. If the batteries were supposed to be kept discharged to the 80% level, the solar company would not have installed 1,400 watts of solar cells for a 600ah bank. 600 to 800 watts would have been sufficient to keep the batteries at only 80%. There was no difference in the cost of my system, as the invoice for the solar build was prepared months in advance of the build and without the actual sq ft surface area for solar cells mount known. The build was done by a solar install company with only rv clients. They are experts. It is the only thing they do, and as such, there was nothing said, written or otherwise about keeping the batteries at 80 or less, except to allow for better equalization occasionally. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Update;   So ... just got a call from the mechanic and low and behold there is a switch that needs to be set to lithium!   It is in the front of the converter under the faceplate.  So problem solved... @dragonsdofly appreciate your comments.  I knew that I was being led down a path that wasn’t accurate.  

Another problem bites the dust!  We hit the road this week so I am excited to get these issues behind us. Thanks everyone!

Update:   After looking at the unit I called Progressive.  What was installed last week is an older unit.   In order to charge lithium I have to press a tiny button to go into boost mode each time.  Argh...    will exchange this out when I return from our trip.   What a mess...