Options

Permanent Twin Bed Damage???

HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
edited March 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hi T@bbers!  Have tried to search to no avail. I am pondering making a permanent twin bed mount on my older DM Tab. I’m concerned that by attaching a structure to the existing seat it will damage the original framework with all the jostling, rattling what have you. I usually set up and take down during my travels and let’s just say I’m getting lazy! For those of you who have done so have you had any issues? TIA.

(Added to title for future searches - Verna, T@B Admin)
HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I I used a 2x6 with IKEA legs cut down.  It “clamps” to the existing cabinets with 2 L brackets bent over.  So far no issues.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @HoBo,  There are several threads here that discuss twin bed mods, some that involve no modification or mounting to the existing benches.  The slide out extensions appear the best solution to me (do not remember the poster).
    We utilize twin bed configuration with no modification to the side benches. Cutting the side cushion straps to separate the bottom from the back we only use the bottom cushions. As our feet are towards the front the narrowness of those bottom cushions is not an issue for us, the wide sofa area for our hips and shoulders seems sufficient.    
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
    Thank you both. Geo that won’t work for me. I flail too much! 😂 I saw the slide out mod but am concerned about the weight on the jutting out portion. Seems fine if just sleeping but if weather is bad and hanging indoors, sitting there may put added weight. 🤔 Tampakayaker, I believe I saw your mod. Maybe I’ll give that a go. I’m just so fearful of ripping out the front bench wall. 
    HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    HoBo said:
    Thank you both. Geo that won’t work for me. I flail too much! 😂 I saw the slide out mod but am concerned about the weight on the jutting out portion. Seems fine if just sleeping but if weather is bad and hanging indoors, sitting there may put added weight. 🤔 Tampakayaker, I believe I saw your mod. Maybe I’ll give that a go. I’m just so fearful of ripping out the front bench wall. 
    The weight on my mod will be on the legs themselves.  The "hooks" are just to keep the wood from falling away from the edge.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL